SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys

Looking to purchase a strut bar for my 09 AWD.I have a set of eicbachs and billsteins Hd in the front and wondering how much would this strut bar change my ride.Much better?? Same?? worse?? Is it worth it??
Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
138 Posts
you should get a rear anti sway bar first. then definitely get the strut bar as well. big difference in handling

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
My car is an 05 and has a strut that comes stock with the car. Not sure how much of a difference is but all a strut bar does is reduce body roll in the corners. Sooo by that you might get a bit more comfortable cornering at higher speeds.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im pretty happy with the way it handles already. Just wondering if its going to be a stiffer or more comfortable ride?
Thanks for the input!!

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I had put strut bars on my previous cars ('94 Integra and '02 S40) and it made a nice difference. I had much less spilled coffee. The '05 V50 seems fairly rigid already so I haven't made it a priority. However, I mught be surprised.
Stan

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
you should get a rear anti sway bar first. then definitely get the strut bar as well. big difference in handling
Agreed. I have the IPD one and have enjoyed it. A lot of people seem to like the Elevate one.

I have the EST front strut brace and it looks nice but honestly not sure how big of a difference it makes. But the rear anti-sway bar gave a noticeable difference.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Hey guys, quick opinion question for you all. While I finish my Stage 0 items I'm going to give myself a Bday gift, something like Elevate's rear anti sway 25mm and Ultra Racing's front strut. Is it worth finding an upgraded front anti sway, and is there a rear strut for and '05 S40, and for those that have both how do they feel?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Do it, I put one in after driving my car for 3 years and immediately noticed the increase in rigidity, the car feels more like one solid piece, and also going over bumps and stuff the chassis seems to absorb the bumps better and it took away some shakiness + it's more predictable in corners. I would not say it reinforces under steer like a front sway bar would, but rather it enhances turn in and the connection/feedback between the steering rack and the suspension.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Highly recommend. I threw on an EST front strut bar and had a blast at autocross with it.

Don't know compared to a RSB but that's next on my list for suspension mods.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
It really looks like a great deal not to mention I can get the Garret FMIC and save vs buying both from Elevate( $300 savings)... There is a bracket on the top side of Elevates DP where it connects to the turbo and I see Eurosports doesn't have that. Any idea what that is for?

·
Registered
915 Posts
It really looks like a great deal not to mention I can get the Garret FMIC and save vs buying both from Elevate( $300 savings)... There is a bracket on the top side of Elevates DP where it connects to the turbo and I see Eurosports doesn't have that. Any idea what that is for?
Heat shield.

As for the front strut bar, I didn't see much of a difference in handling like I did with the rear sway bar....more for looks. The front is already pretty ridged on our cars so no much room to improve I suppose. I could tell a small difference when I jacked the front wheels off the ground and then tightened up the strut bar as opposed to just mounting it up with the car setting level.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Everyone perceive things differently. . .

I have Bilstein Sport and I wasn't overly impressed with my EST strut brace (installed before the Bilstein) but I wouldn't say it's a total waste.
My guess is that you have to push the car pretty hard to really feel the difference between with and without.
Springs, struts, and shocks are what really makes the most difference imo.

I've actually been thinking of finding a spot right in the middle to anchor it to the car body but It's going to be hard to find since there isn't much around.
The issues with a lot of strut bar is that they buckle a little and thus loose the stiffness effect.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
idk man. strut bar does nothing for me well at least the EST bar. get a rear sway. try racing beat or corksport or hotchkis. they're thicker for less than whatever the volvo aftermarket is offering.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
strut bar needs to be installed without the car's weight loaded on it.(while car is lifted) , this will cause a small amount of preload that allows the bar to work as it's intended.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Heat shield.

As for the front strut bar, I didn't see much of a difference in handling like I did with the rear sway bar....more for looks. The front is already pretty ridged on our cars so no much room to improve I suppose. I could tell a small difference when I jacked the front wheels off the ground and then tightened up the strut bar as opposed to just mounting it up with the car setting level.
strut bar needs to be installed without the car's weight loaded on it.(while car is lifted) , this will cause a small amount of preload that allows the bar to work as it's intended.
correct

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Cool, thanks for the heads up about installing strut bar while car is lifted! There is agood 99% chance ill be purchasing the ESTDP tomorrow once my creditcard is cleared. I cant pass up 635.00 shipped to my door.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts