SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving to pick up some friends the other day- pulled out around a big black SUV left lane hog and smoked a big chunk of angle steel sitting in the center of the road. I saw it coming last second and couldn't avoid it. Shut the engine off immediately and rolled to a stop on the side of the road where a pool of R blood pooled...

Got it towed to a nearby dealer and my day got worse- got a verbal quote of $1750 to fix the pan and another $400 to replace the right CV boots. Apparently it needed all the oil tubes replaced and needed a new cooler...

Thought that was a bit harsh, so towed it home to have a look. CV boots are fine. Oil cooler has a very small dent on the trailing edge but the plastic around it was still intact. Worst part: dealer charged me 1.5 hours "diagnostic" which I figured would mean they dropped the pan to have a look at the oil tubes- but the pan bolts were not even touched! I dropped the pan and the oil tubes are absolutely fine...

It really burns me when people charge you for work they didn't do, then to have the audacity to recommend a bunch of repairs that clearly aren't needed. When I called them, they almost immediately agreed to refund me 0.5 hours as a 1h diagnostic is a standard charge.

Anyway- will post pics soon. I noticed there wasn't an oil pan change thread on here so I'll give one a go. I'm also going to change out all the gaskets and o-rings while I am at it- hopefully parts will be here by the weekend.

R-down. at least I have a backup car I don't mind driving...

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
i've felt your pain, but for me it was an aluminum 7ft ladder. fortunately I wasn't in my R, but my Saab flatted two tires and tore off the protective plastic covering around the oil pan. Something to be said for driving a $5k urban assault vehicle vs my baby.

·
Registered
118 Posts
This reminds me of a story my Literature teacher told us in high school. Apparently he had a problem with kids repeatedly running over his mailbox so he bought a 9 foot section of railroad track and buried all but 3 feet of it in the ground behind his mailbox. When they tried to run over his mailbox again it totaled their car.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
This reminds me of a story my Literature teacher told us in high school. Apparently he had a problem with kids repeatedly running over his mailbox so he bought a 9 foot section of railroad track and buried all but 3 feet of it in the ground behind his mailbox. When they tried to run over his mailbox again it totaled their car.
My late father did something very similar in 1969. His mailbox on a wooden post was a contant target, so he remounted it with 3" steel pipe buried with about 400 lbs. of concrete. We heard the screeching of mangled mustang the following weekend about 2:00am Saturday morning. He was so proud!:cool:

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
A few times our mailbox here at school got hit by some kids with a baseball bat. We set a new small mailbox inside a new big one, lined the gap with concrete and set it on a steel post in 3' of concrete. 2 years later and its still good :D

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts