SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just returned from a great winter trip up to crater lake in oregon for the new years holiday, but going through the cascades mountains I developed (just noticed?) a strong vibration at highway speeds, almost a knocking while going uphill. Specifically, felt a strong vibration through the steering wheel and floor board while in 5th/6th gear going up hill while around 2250-3000rpm (60-75mph). Almost felt like the engine dropped a cylinder, but outside of knocking the engine was strong and if I let off the throttle the vibration stopped immediately. So far, LCA's, engine mount, torque mount, struts, and end links have been replaced. I suspect either an inner cv joint gone bad or the transmission mount is shot, but I could use everyone's input!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Likely to be transmission mount, I had the same problem a year ago. Go with the same style mount so you don't have to deal with a troublesome guide pin thing on the new bracket. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Just returned from a great winter trip
Sure you weren't doing some drifting & other such fun activities? This often packs a bunch of snow in the wheels. When you park, the warm brakes then melt the snow causing a nice blob of ice/packed snow to stick to your wheel. Result is a major out of balance wheel/s which shake like crazy. I have two boys, not to mention myself. I see this frequently in the Winter. :) Clean packed snow from wheels immediately after any fun activities.

in any case, something to check before spending money in search of a ghost.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:) Unfortunately no, not out of balance wheels thanks to ice build up (pretty sure) - I stayed on plowed highways almost exclusively, but they did have packed snow. It was only on acceleration / high engine load that I got vibration and it was quite severe at times. It was distressing.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My transmission mount was cracked three ways when I replaced it, it was the old square rubber pad style. I replaced it with the newer circular disc type but a troublesome guided pin needed to be knocked out at a weird angle in order to swap out a bracket that hooks up to the shift cable (MT).

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ya, I already ordered the whole hydraulic kit from Tasca. I hope the pin won't be too much of a pain, but that's the only mount that hasn't been changed and the original (right side) engine mount had cracked and split by the time I changed it. So I figure it's a safe bet that the other is shot now too. Whether or not that's the sole source of the vibration, I don't know. I kinda doubt it actually. I'm guessing it's a combination of a bad inner cv joint and the trans mount, because even under low load I have some vibration at speed. I kept thinking it was the tires but they're Michelins and have been road force balanced twice.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, I can't replicate the vibration issue here in the moderate temp CA valley, which makes me think that ice build up on the wheels may have been the cause of my highway vibration issue / exasperating an already shot transmission mount situation. I guess that's what I get with a multi-day journey in 3 degree weather + snowy roads. :facepalm:

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Likely to be transmission mount, I had the same problem a year ago. Go with the same style mount so you don't have to deal with a troublesome guide pin thing on the new bracket. Good luck.
Wish I would have listened. Even though upon inspection my old mount was in good condition, I went to install the new hydraulic unit last night... what a pain. Everything was easy, except getting the guide pin knocked out/in. I mean, how the hell do you get the guide pin out in the space given??? I couldn't get a decent swing with a hammer so I said forget it and reinstalled the old mount. If, in the future, my trans mount does go out, I'm going to replace with identical unit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts