SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

So I took the car in to install a new cv axle and two lower control arm bushings. After the install, the mechanic had me drive it so I could hear the strong rattling noise. The noise is coming from the front passengers side and only occurs when I accelerate. If I am coasting or idling there is no noise. The noise also does not depend on whether I am turning left or right. As of now, the mechanic has not been able to pinpoint the source and is planning on placing it on one of those dyno machines so he can accelerate and also look in the engine bay at the same time. Does anyone have any experience with this issue? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I had a rattle from the air intake snorkel that i couldnt find for a while, but, that rattled at idle and stopped when driving. Cant hurt to check the snorkel first, it comes loose after doing many oil changes. Next maybe have a passenger sit inside with you while you drive and touch the interior to see if anything is loose, but im guessing it sounds more like its coming from outside rather than inside, if so, maybe move onto your motor mounts. or maybe its the LCA's- maybe one of the bolts came loose after the bushings were replaced?

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
You could also check the front right CV axle if that's the one you had replaced, it has two bolts in a bracket and a bearing inside kind of like an axle brace- they might not have been reattached to the block, and when you accelerate the body lifts up and allows that unit to spin and hit the block giving you the strong rattle under acceleration.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had a rattle from the air intake snorkel that i couldnt find for a while, but, that rattled at idle and stopped when driving. Cant hurt to check the snorkel first, it comes loose after doing many oil changes. Next maybe have a passenger sit inside with you while you drive and touch the interior to see if anything is loose, but im guessing it sounds more like its coming from outside rather than inside, if so, maybe move onto your motor mounts. or maybe its the LCA's- maybe one of the bolts came loose after the bushings were replaced?
Thanks for the advice but that is not the issue. I have an K&N Intake system and removed all the stock intake parts.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You could also check the front right CV axle if that's the one you had replaced, it has two bolts in a bracket and a bearing inside kind of like an axle brace- they might not have been reattached to the block, and when you accelerate the body lifts up and allows that unit to spin and hit the block giving you the strong rattle under acceleration.
That is the one I replaced. I'll suggest this to the mechanic when he reopens on Saturday. Thank you.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Any update on this? I think that I am having the same issue. Although it seems my rattling only happens during light acceleration and low rpm cruising.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
Motor mounts will rattle on acceleration and the right side engine mount is particularly sensitive.

·
Registered
126 Posts
If you have the ipd TCV mounted to the firewall, that causes a rattle with boost pressure during acceleration. But unlikely to have this start making noise after just replacing driveline components.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts