SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-164-P...ash=item35f463b7a1:g:WDIAAOSwMmBVz3gD&vxp=mtr

There were 2 versions of the vent window latches (yes, the ones that were glued on and always fall off). The 1st version is skinnier / smaller. I believe they were used until '69 or '70. The 2nd / larger version one closes on to the frame that sits between this vent window and the glass that lowers into the door. The 1st version also closes onto this frame, but I THINK there's an additional striker plate that goes on the frame so that this latch will close the vent window tightly / securely. I believe this item appears in the pic the above url show bring you to. Its just above where this part of the frame comes out of the door.

I suspect that if you try to use these 1st version latches on a car that originally used the 2nd version ones so that the window frame doesn't have these striker plates, they won't do a good job of holding the vent window closed.

Can anyone let me know if I have this correct?

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
To me, that little piece looks like an add-on by some owner. However, if you go to the Volvo Genuine Classic Parts (GCP) website, they have the scanned parts manuals for the vintage Volvos. You could look up the parts diagram for a 1969 version and see if that additional strike plate is shown.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Already did that. This item appears to be part # 676446, but I can't make sense out of the chassis # data to see if it's used only with the smaller latch. Either way, I still wouldn't know how well or poorly the 1st version latches would work on a car that doesn't have these, which is what I'm really trying to figure out. I suspect that there might not be anyone who'd truly know the answer to this because its quite possible nobody's ever had to try to do this. Problem is, I have a pair of vent windows (sans latches, of course) and a set of early / skinny latches, but I don't want to glue these on unless I know for sure whether or not they REQUIRE this striker plate in order to function sufficiently.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts