SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife’s car: 2013 XC60 platinum edition, climate package, loaded. She was going on a bus trip yesterday and parked outside in a lot at 8am. She usually locks her car by touching the door handle, but it would not lock that way so used the key fob to lock it and left. When she returned at 9:30pm the parking lights, dash lights, and radio were on and she is sure gas was missing. It was locked, she pulled on the handle to unlock, and opened the door. She started the car fine and came home. To make it more confusing, I drove by her car about noon and I did not notice anything amiss. My only thought is something to do with the remote start. Any suggestions would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
When she turned off the car did she accidentally touch the START/STOP button without her foot on the brake and basically putting the car in Key Position II? This would leave interior lights, radio, and not allow you to use the Keyless Entry on the door handles. That would be my only guess and you should try this scenario I just mentioned to see if that happens.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I don't think any of that behavior is normal if remote start erroneously engaged as it would time out and everything would turn off, hence no lights or radio would be on.

Sounds like a control module is acting up?

·
Registered
276 Posts
One time my 2015.5 T6 drive-e with auto start/stop had a similar experience. I parked in a public parking garage. Locked the vehicle, didn't notice any dashboard or other lights on and the engine was not running. Come back 3 hours later and the vehicle engine was running with headlights on. Inside the cabin it was hot from climate control running for hours (winter time). I figured I must have somehow not turned off the ignition. You would think it should auto-kill if no key detected for a period of time. Trials and tribulations of proximity key ignition these days I guess. Never happened again since.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FYI I called dealer and it goes in tomorrow to get hooked up to computer. They said it was a software glitch. I'll keep all posted and thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Wow. This is actually a pretty frightening prospect, to have the car just turn on randomly. Hopefully the update gets it sorted. Some new tech in cars certainly seems to me to be more trouble than it may be worth. Something to be said about things like actually turning a key to start your car, or checking your blind spot with your eyes.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow. This is actually a pretty frightening prospect, to have the car just turn on randomly. Hopefully the update gets it sorted. Some new tech in cars certainly seems to me to be more trouble than it may be worth. Something to be said about things like actually turning a key to start your car, or checking your blind spot with your eyes.
+1

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
When she turned off the car did she accidentally touch the START/STOP button without her foot on the brake and basically putting the car in Key Position II? This would leave interior lights, radio, and not allow you to use the Keyless Entry on the door handles. That would be my only guess and you should try this scenario I just mentioned to see if that happens.
I thought the same, but ours shuts everything down after 15 minutes. We learned this while tailgaiting recently.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
She took it to the dealer yesterday who has a great Volvo tech. He could find nothing amiss. Since there are so many cars with remote start, he thought maybe someone else's remote start caused her issues. He was positive she did not leave it running by mistake since she locked it with the key fob. We will watch for future problems. Thanks again for the replies.

·
Registered
654 Posts
+10, and another reason to avoid Sensus Connect, or any system that could be hacked. Due diligence is not happening in design of these systems. Having a wifi or cellular link is just adding to your security risk.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts