SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's a weird one. August 2013 I installed TME lowering springs and Bilstein Sport struts on my S60. I had new tires and alignment done right after that. No wear issues whatsoever. Then last January 2015 I had two new wheels mounted in the rear on the same tires because I had a crack in one of my rear OEM wheels. Rear tires were fine with plenty of tread.

This past August I replaced the front wheels (so they match the rear) and put two new tires on the front and had another alignment done.

I'm still on the rear tires from 2013 and they have a lot of tread left (6-7/32) but I recently noticed cupping and slight feathering on the inside of the two rear tires. Fronts look perfect. I've never had this happen before on my car, lowered or not. I've been using the same tires (Bridgestone RE970) for the past 3 sets or so, no issues. I don't think it's an alignment issue since my last two alignments are almost identical specs. I know my shocks are good (normally a suspect for cupping).

I haven't yet been able to check all the rear bushings but they don't seem to be an issue on most S60s and I drive in grandma sport mode pretty much all the time. I've looked at the trailing arm bushings and they are in tact.

Here's my last two alignments for reference. The one in 2013 was done by a good friend at my local Volvo dealer, the most recent was done at a mom and pop Firestone that I've used for over a decade as well.

Any thoughts/suggestions welcomed. Thanks!

One possible cause that ran across my mind is two different wheels on the same tires. Not sure if that could cause the problem though.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And the reason the before numbers are so far out on the most recent alignment is because I replaced tie rods right before that.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
If you are still on the original rear tires and you have already replaced the fronts, I would like to know your rotation schedule. Leaving tires in the same position for their entire lives tends to cause wear issues, esp in the rear.

·
Registered
17,400 Posts
I used to be religious about tire rotation at 5k. Now I do it only maybe every 15-20K. I am nearing replacement time, but should be able to carefully get through winter (though they are predicting some fair snow amounts for our area this coming winter). I've miraculously now run 55K+ on the same set of Bridgestone RE970 Pole Positions and love them in wet and dry. I think the next set will get rotated more often, as I did end up having some outer edge wear on the rears. I have a totally stock setup on AWD and no plans to lower. Stupidly also didn't get realigned until just last month (fall 2012 install/alignment) after feeling a slight pull, which may have added to the premature edge wear.

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used to rotate every 5k miles or so but not anymore. I didn't think/know that not rotating could cause a cupping issue, I figured it only cause the fronts to wear faster than the rears. Since my car is lowered and the rear tires have a lot more negative camber than the fronts, I figured I'd keep them in the same place all the time and just replace them in pairs.

Maybe I'll try rotating them and see if that helps, might be too late for the rear tires though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts