SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Denver! First time Volvo owner and new swedespeed member here. I've had a new XC40 for about a week now, and noticed a very small storage compartment between the front cup holders and the wireless charging bay. It runs the width of the center console but isn't very deep. I've scoured the internet for a raisin d'etre of this confounding compartment, to no avail. Any suggestions for what this is for would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2021 Volvo XC40 T5 R-Design
6 Posts
Hello from Denver! First time Volvo owner and new swedespeed member here. I've had a new XC40 for about a week now, and noticed a very small storage compartment between the front cup holders and the wireless charging bay. It runs the width of the center console but isn't very deep. I've scoured the internet for a raisin d'etre of this confounding compartment, to no avail. Any suggestions for what this is for would be greatly appreciated.
I was told it was a cell phone storage slot for when you're wired in to use Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. That's how I use it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It’s definitely not great as a cellphone storage slot. A lot of of cell phones don’t fit.

I used it to hold work receipts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It fits my iPhone XS and my girlfriend's iPhone 11, even with cases and a Pop Socket. I haven't tried it with one of the larger Pro models, or any of the Android phablet-type phones.

·
Registered
220 Posts
One of the car review shows I watched referenced it as a small garbage compartment. I think you can even remove it from the car to dump out.

I wish I had this for my xc60.

·
Registered
6 Posts
There is a small garbage compartment between the cup holders and the center console, but I think that’s different from what the original poster is describing In front of the shift lever and the cup holders is a tiny door that flips up with a small slot underneath.

I do love the little garbage can. It should be standard on all XC’s.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is a small garbage compartment between the cup holders and the center console, but I think that’s different from what the original poster is describing In front of the shift lever and the cup holders is a tiny door that flips up with a small slot underneath.

I do love the little garbage can. It should be standard on all XC’s.

That's the one. A car reviewer I follow said it's meant to hold a phone but it doesn't fit my iPhone either on its side or in portrait orientation. When I took delivery, I assumed it was for the key, but that doesn't seem to be the case either as the key is barely too big for the compartment door to close, and on its side, it's too tight a fit and took a lot of tinkering to get out.

·
Registered
95 Posts
That's the one. A car reviewer I follow said it's meant to hold a phone but it doesn't fit my iPhone either on its side or in portrait orientation. When I took delivery, I assumed it was for the key, but that doesn't seem to be the case either as the key is barely too big for the compartment door to close, and on its side, it's too tight a fit and took a lot of tinkering to get out.
Just a note you can store your key in the "tabs" in the cup holder.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I asked my salesperson what that space was for when my XC40 was delivered - he thought it was for a phone, but once we tried it out, it became clear that it didn't really fit any of our phones very well. It's definitely not well suited for that, and I doubt that's what it was intended for.

After doing some googling, I think the space is to be used as an ash tray: Emptying the ashtray* | Storage and passenger compartment | Loading, storage and passenger compartment | XC40 2020 Early | Volvo Support

There may be an optional accessory needed for it to become removable, but I think that's what the space is there for. Perhaps as USA models don't come equipped with one, we just get the weird little empty space?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
About as useful as the slidey port under the driver's seat.🤪

Reactions: OlRedHair

·
Registered
6 Posts
About as useful as the slidey port under the driver's seat.🤪
There’s a slidey port under the driver’s seat?
That storage port is a little odd. It obviously doesn’t fit a phone on its side, but I’ve found it plenty big to hold my phone in portrait orientation while I’m plugged into CarPlay.

Do new Volvos not come with the screen-cleaning cloth anymore?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Are you talking about this area (see yellow arrow) in front of the Qi charger? My XC40 is a 2019, and mine is an ashtray (with a cover). I keep coins in there. :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think it's just an extra random storage compartment for you to use as you please. Although, as the link noted above, Volvo calls it an ashtray that can be removed by pulling it straight up. So it's technically and ashtray. As others have said, you can use it for your change, receipts, phone, whatever you want! But again, Volvo calls it an ashtray so...it's probably meant to be an ashtray.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think it's just an extra random storage compartment for you to use as you please. Although, as the link noted above, Volvo calls it an ashtray that can be removed by pulling it straight up. So it's technically and ashtray. As others have said, you can use it for your change, receipts, phone, whatever you want! But again, Volvo calls it an ashtray so...it's probably meant to be an ashtray.
I just tried it, and it does indeed, pull out. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts