SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone.

A few months ago, my S40 developed a strange squeak in the engine compartment. It sounds sort of like a dry metal-on-metal type sound and is only audible when the engine is running and warm. I suspected the Alternator freewheel pulley at first, but I recently had all the belts replaced and the workshop confirmed that the pulley was fine. They also checked all the tensioners and said they could not locate the squeak, and that I should not worry about it. Problem there is that the squeak annoys me to no end, because it feels like something is wrong - which i'm not comfortable with. So, fellow S40 lovers, please assist me if possible - I have no place else to turn to. I'll try my best to describe when the squeak is audible.

1. From cold start, no squeak - purrs like a kitten
2. When warm, squeak sometimes audible
3. Sometimes, switching the AC on makes the squeak go away
4. Sometimes the squeak is gets louder when the AC is running
5. If warm, switching on headlights, fog lights makes the squeak louder (only when warm)
6. Squeak is most distinct at Idle, I cant tell whether its still there when the RPM increases

I'm starting to suspect the AC clutch, but the symptoms dont match up, unless I'm missing something? Also, If previous experiences contradict what the workshop has said, let me know.

Thank you!

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
So would seem that maybe adding load to the battery/alternator increases sound (turning on lights and a/c)? Maybe something happening there?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah! That's the curveball though, the sound is sometimes there with no electrical load or AC. I've been reading through some threads which have shifted my attention to the PCV issue that a few other S40 owners have experienced as the symptoms are similar but other threads on T5D5 claim that this isn't as common on the diesels. I'm gonna try the dipstick pressure test and check for leaks in the meanwhile. Such a PITA getting all the intake and airbox bits off but It's gotta be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update: it's not the PCV, I have a bit of smoke escaping the dipstick tube when I pull it out but the noise doesn't go away :(

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Your diesel will undoubtedly be different from our US engines, which are all gasoline models. So I'd suggest the direct approach. Take a piece of hose, like rubber vacuum or fuel line, hold one end alongside your head by your ear (not directly in it!), and move the other end around the engine compartment. If you're careful, you'll home in on the source. Watch out at the front of the engine, you don't want the hose to get wrapped up in the pulleys.

My car would chirp in cool wet weather, I traced it to the a/c tensioner.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the suggestion tmtalpey, I'll try that. The diesels are substantially rowdier than their petrol counterparts which may make it a bit harder to pinpoint the source but definately worth a try.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts