SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a CPO 2013 s60 T5 AWD. The vehicle had under 10k miles on the odometer, at the time of purchase. I enjoy the car; however, I've noticed a strange, clearly audible reverberating sound, emanating from somewhere on the passenger side of the vehicle (can't tell if it's from the engine bay or rear of the car), at 1000 RPMs (driving or idling [tapping the gas]). I can't really describe the sound, and there is no unusual shaking or movement in the car. I'm going to take the car to the dealer for a look, but thought I'd post here to see if anyone has any thoughts.... ? Thanks....

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
We have heard that sound. Its the transmission bogging in too high of a gear. Switch to Sport mode and it will go away. In Drive, non sport, the transmission upshifts as fast as possible, and downshifts as slow as possible to increase fuel economy. Sometimes when your driving locally it stays in that higher gear and the noise you hear is the engine bogging down trying to create the power to turn the higher gear at a lower speed. Its normal.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
We have heard that sound. Its the transmission bogging in too high of a gear. Switch to Sport mode and it will go away. In Drive, non sport, the transmission upshifts as fast as possible, and downshifts as slow as possible to increase fuel economy. Sometimes when your driving locally it stays in that higher gear and the noise you hear is the engine bogging down trying to create the power to turn the higher gear at a lower speed. Its normal.
I don't think it's transmission related since it happens when idling as well.

OP: You probably won't get the right answer from any of us here since it's hard to describe the noise and these noises are tricky. Technicians at the dealer will be able to figure it out.
Having said that, some replies here will help you hone in on it.
Does it completely go away when the rpm goes higher? It could just be drowned by the engine noise.
Did you try popping the hood and listening for it?
I had a noise at idling and it was the drive belt. Replaced under warranty. That was only when the car was cold.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I don't think it's transmission related since it happens when idling as well.

OP: You probably won't get the right answer from any of us here since it's hard to describe the noise and these noises are tricky. Technicians at the dealer will be able to figure it out.
Having said that, some replies here will help you hone in on it.
Does it completely go away when the rpm goes higher? It could just be drowned by the engine noise.
Did you try popping the hood and listening for it?
I had a noise at idling and it was the drive belt. Replaced under warranty. That was only when the car was cold.
Ah good point, I missed the idling part.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback.... the drive belt might be a good place to start. Regardless, I'm going to take it to the dealer for a look. Appreciate the input....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts