SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I have very little detail here but it’s worth a try to see if anyone has any suggestions at all. My 2006 S60 is making a sound coming from under the hood when it is first started for the day. After it warms up it goes away. It sounds like a belt rubbing or something but the frequency is very low, like every second or two, so it doesn’t seem like the accessory belt since that is spinning too fast to be the right frequency. I was thinking power steering pump, but my fluid level is good and the sound doesn’t change if you turn the steering wheel. It is definitely something driven by the engine, it isn’t an electrical sound. No performance issues are evident at any time. Doesn’t change with increase in rpm. Also is not affected by the a/c being on or off. I’m just waiting for something to break.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Tires are known to develop a flat spot when they sit for weeks or months without being used. I suppose the same thing could happen to a rubber belt. I can't explain why the frequency does not match up.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Pop off the timing belt cover and hover over it while someone starts the engine. listen closely,, and look for any micro metalic bits in there.It's possible that a idler,tensioner and or a drive belt bearing are about to let loose. Timing belts snap not from age but from worn out bearings on the idler and tensioner.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pop off the timing belt cover and hover over it while someone starts the engine. listen closely,, and look for any micro metalic bits in there.It's possible that a idler,tensioner and or a drive belt bearing are about to let loose. Timing belts snap not from age but from worn out bearings on the idler and tensioner.
If it were the timing belt, wouldn’t the sound change with engine revs?

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
If RPM change doesn't affect the pitch of the sound, them it's not going to be engine driven or related to the engine itself. Take a listen at the front drivers side of the car, I'll bet it's your brake booster pump priming up. I had a weird noise I couldn't figure out when I'd start my car not long after getting it, same thing... Didn't fluctuate with RPM increase, and turned out it's the normal operation of the brake booster pump. Just my right on this though.

Sent from my Huawei Mate 9 using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts