SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings forum members. First post here. We picked up our new Inscription model about two weeks ago. It is primarily my wife's DD.
We're still climbing the rather steep learning curve with respect to all the new tech features. So, here's the issue.

My wife says that when she steps on the brakes the radio goes into mute - volume goes to zero - and she needs to reset the volume. It seems to happen primarily when she's coming to a full stop (like a stop sign) or quickly slowing down from highway speed. But does not happen under more moderate brake pressure.

Anyone else experience this, or have an idea what might be going on here?

Thanks in advance.

Mac

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
That I have never experienced. If on, try turning off the mode where it auto adjusts the volume based on speed. It certainly shouldn't go to zero and mute but maybe turning off that setting will fix it. If it does, definitely let Volvo know. And even if it doesn't let Volvo know.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Greetings forum members. First post here. We picked up our new Inscription model about two weeks ago. It is primarily my wife's DD.
We're still climbing the rather steep learning curve with respect to all the new tech features. So, here's the issue.

My wife says that when she steps on the brakes the radio goes into mute - volume goes to zero - and she needs to reset the volume. It seems to happen primarily when she's coming to a full stop (like a stop sign) or quickly slowing down from highway speed. But does not happen under more moderate brake pressure.

Anyone else experience this, or have an idea what might be going on here?

Thanks in advance.

Mac
Wow, that is an odd and new one to me and I thought I had encountered almost all the bugs reported here (and reported a lot myself). That would be super annoying. It's definitely not correct behavior and not common.

I just read on another topic someone saying the start/stop feature on their car causes the radio volume to go down. As a test, try turning this feature off on your car and then do the same braking that causes the volume to mute and see if it still does. You can turn this feature off (per drive -- it resets with each use of the car) using the center display screen. It's the feature that shuts your motor off every time you come to a complete stop. Perhaps there is something that is causing this to try and conserve power when the engine is shut down. Could reflect a battery issue with the secondary battery in the car that is used specifically for the start/stop feature. I am just speculating here. I would definitely have the dealer check it out. But trying this test first could help with the diagnosis.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have never experienced it but it should be an intervention of IDIS (Intelligent Driver Information System). You can find on internet literature on Volvo IDIS.From what I remember IDIS if you are approaching a cross or push hard on brakes can put on hold any incoming telephone call and decrease radio volume.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have never experienced it but it should be an intervention of IDIS (Intelligent Driver Information System). You can find on internet literature on Volvo IDIS.From what I remember IDIS if you are approaching a cross or push hard on brakes can put on hold any incoming telephone call and decrease radio volume.
Well it got more interesting on the wife's ride home from work last night. She hit a pot hole and the radio muted. I'm beginning to think we have a loose connection somewhere.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I agree with you. It sounds like a loose connection and you should have the Dealer check it out.

·
Registered
380 Posts
My guess is that its the 'o' button on the right side of the steering wheel...If im not mistaken, if there's nothing to select or clear from the drivers display, it mutes the media. See if the button feels loose or has any play in it...my demo that we have is very tight.

It might be worth a shot to drive with the trip computer (or any other menu accessed from the menu button on the steering wheel) and see if any jarring or hard braking hits the 'o' button and enters the next menu instead of muting the radio...?

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
I didn't think of this when I first saw this post yesterday but my radio has muted on a few occasions. But only when listening to something off my iPhone via Bluetooth connection. I had to press the play button in the center of the volume knob below the head unit or the 'o' enter button on the right of the steering wheel for it to resume playing. This has never happened when listening to SiriusXM.

I honestly don't remember if when it happened I was stepping on the brakes though...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.