SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brought my 2017 T6 P+ XC90 in for it's 20k service last week (they requested it at 16k miles) and they did a total software update. Noticed this week that while the engine auto off does in fact work when I stop at a light, the tach needle no longer goes from Ready to Off when the engine shuts off, it just stays at Ready. Anyone else seen this?

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
That sounds like a logical change for the better.

When start stop engages, the engine isn’t “off”. It’s “ready”.

The engine is only “off” when you turn off the ignition.

If start stop engages, the engine is warmed up and has sufficient aux battery to crank it back up at a moments notice. It’s paused, but it’s “ready” to start again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's just not something they needed to change. I see your point but then get rid of the off as the gauge disappears when you shut the engine off manually. Now it's basically "Off, but ready.". It wasn't broke in the first place.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nope, not a big deal at all, just wondering if anyone else has noticed a change. Mine had always gone to Off before the update, odd that it would be different for different people.

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
I was pretty sure it always went to ready as well, but I never paid that much attention.
Edit:
The owners manual says it should go to Ready, so yes, it's always been that way.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Brought my 2017 T6 P+ XC90 in for it's 20k service last week (they requested it at 16k miles) and they did a total software update. Noticed this week that while the engine auto off does in fact work when I stop at a light, the tach needle no longer goes from Ready to Off when the engine shuts off, it just stays at Ready. Anyone else seen this?
Isn't the "off" position an indication that stop/start is off,
rather than an indication that the engine is off?

·
Registered
934 Posts
No, when auto start/stop is not working because it is too cold or the battery is not charged enough the READY is grayed out. If you select DYNAMIC as the drive mode (where auto start/stop is disabled), READY completely disappears from the dashboard.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
It’s the tach needle. Normally it an normal car it goes from 0 to redline, right? So obviously when it’s at 0 the engine is off so no labeling required.

In cars with auto stop start you need to differentiate between two states with the engine at 0 rpm. Either the engine is actually off, or it’s in start stop ready mode. Thus there needs to be two positions for the needle. That way when you stop the car and start stop engages, you don’t look at the tach and think the engine is off when the ignition is still on.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It’s the tach needle. Normally it an normal car it goes from 0 to redline, right? So obviously when it’s at 0 the engine is off so no labeling required.

In cars with auto stop start you need to differentiate between two states with the engine at 0 rpm. Either the engine is actually off, or it’s in start stop ready mode. Thus there needs to be two positions for the needle. That way when you stop the car and start stop engages, you don’t look at the tach and think the engine is off when the ignition is still on.

That makes perfect sense, thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts