SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Guys,

would appreciate your help. My 2007 S80 2.5T makes a strange high rattling/whining sound:

It can be heard all the time after start when the engine had cooled down and was not working for at least 5 minutes. As engine warms up it gradually disappears, but is is directly linked to the acceleration pedal and reappears firs at over 1200 rpm. later over 1300 rpm and step by step disappears at all.

Also, I have noticed that when starting the car after night, for first 1-2 seconds a small amount of exhaust smoke appears in the engine compartment and it comes from somewhere approximately between the driver and front passenger seat.

Any ideas what could be causing this sound?

many thanks!

P.S. I've started one thread here, but as this issue is related to engine rather than car model, I'll try my luck here

·
Registered
838 Posts
That sounds like an exhaust leak. The exhaust manifold gasket may be the cause. As it heats up the metal expands and it seal up.

·
Registered
853 Posts
+2 sounds like a exhaust leak. Put some smoke around the joints and see where the leak is. Thats my guess. That thing sounds like my tractor.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your reply. For some time sound reappears when I push accelerator. Do you think exhaust leak could also explain that?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took it to dealer mechanic in my country and the reason was ....wait for it..... loosen exhaust manifold :).

round of applause for you guys.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I took it to dealer mechanic in my country and the reason was ....wait for it..... loosen exhaust manifold :).

round of applause for you guys.
Good for you! Easy fix. I picked up a 1.6L Corolla/Prizm for the MIL. Exhaust manifold had so many cracks I thought it was going to come out in 3 pieces. Typical issue for that car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts