SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I turn my car on, the internet bars next to the sim card come up after about 2 minutes (is that how long it takes for everyone else)? And in my area there's good AT&T coverage so it's typically 5 bars.

After exactly (EXACTLY) 10 minutes the bars go to zero and I lose internet connectivity. I can replicate this 100% of the time. And just to make sure I wasn't driving through a dead zone, I can sit in my car in a parking lot, turn it on, see 5 bars, and not move for 10 minutes and at the 10 minute mark the bars go to zero and internet doesn't work.

Any ideas? The dealer is going to try to replace the entire telematics unit, but wondering if anyone else had seen this.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
Did you recently have the update done? My data, and Citivas' as well, has not been working since the update.

It goes to 5 bars even though no data gets transmitted and I've been noticing it does what you mention in that after a while the bars go away. I haven't timed the exactly 10 minute thing though, so that aspect may be different.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Welcome to the club Paradox and I have been in since we got the CarPlay update, though it sounds like it manifests slightly differently with each of us.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I definitely have a version of this though I'm not sure it is as consistent as op. My sim data does work as well, was able to download all the apps.

It may help isolating the cause to note in my case at least once or twice both the sim connection AND the usb connection to my phone broke off simultaneously like really exactly the same instant.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Are there others who are having internet issues after the software update? Or others with no problems after the update. My update appointment is coming soon.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, it happened after the update. And mine is also a FE so maybe it's a FE issue. Paradox and Citivas, what is the plan for yours? Are your dealers working on any solutions?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
With my situation it's entirely possible that the modem has always behaved this way and I never noticed since pre-update I really had little use for it so did not monitor it.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Yes, it happened after the update. And mine is also a FE so maybe it's a FE issue. Paradox and Citivas, what is the plan for yours? Are your dealers working on any solutions?
My dealer wants me to come in and plans to replace the hardware, similar to what yours has suggested. I haven't scheduled that yet, but also I suspect they are just "throwing darts" at the problem (i.e. guessing) and aren't sure that's the problem. I had been waiting for VCNA to weigh in which they said they would but I haven't heard from them yet. I also haven't had time to take it in anyway. I believe Paradox's dealer planned to re-install the software and see if that made a difference. I believe he is similarly skeptical that they are just trying it versus knowing it will solve it. Neither of us are in a hurry to go to the trouble to take it in if they haven't identified the problem and potentially waste our time or make it worse.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Have you tried to see if you get a stable internet connection through your mobile phone hotspot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
Have you tried to see if you get a stable internet connection through your mobile phone hotspot?

We've kind of been through this in other threads but if you connect to a hotspot or say the wifi in your house while the car is in the garage, yes, it works so it is only the internal SIM card connection that is not working. Seems it may be different in Europe but here many people have to pay extra money on their cell phone bill to allow for a personal hotspot so not everyone has it. In my case it is an extra $20 for 2gb of personal hotspot a month, yet I have unlimited data on my base plan...

·
Registered
98 Posts
I see. It is quite bad that they are charging extra for hotspot in the US, why should you pay extra for using your data connection? In the XC90 I find the Bluetooth internet connection sort of unstable (it takes a few minutes to connect to Internet and comes and goes). I tried once Internet through hotspot and it seems much better.

·
Registered
345 Posts
You could test the sim card by putting it in your phone see if that works, once that's ruled out put the sim back and try connecting the system to the hot spot on your phone like Mapache suggested.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just verified that when using bluetooth internet from my phone everything works fine. So it's something with the modem itself.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts