SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it just started this week when I leave work (and has happened now the past 2 mornings as my car has had to be outside); when I start my SR there is is an audible hum coming from the front of the engine bay and gets louder when I move the steering wheel. Even when I am sitting parked, if I slightly touch the sterring the wheel you can hear the noise perk up a bit. It's almost like a moan.

It goes away after about 10 minutes of driving but I was wondering if anyone had seen or heard this before? Could it be somehting related to the power steering?
I will try and get a video of it this weekend.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Have you checked power steering fluid levels? Could be low

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
If you could hum a few bars maybe we could help.

Power steering is very picky on level. Add a bit and I bet it goes away. I bet if you make a full lock turn it will also growl.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Check and top off the power steering fluid with the Volvo fluid (30741424)
If it's still making the noise your power steering pump might be going.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I will top off the power steering fluid and see if it goes away. if not, I hope it's not the pump :(

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does it make a difference if I don't get the genuine Volvo fluid? Would something like Lucas Oil Power Steering fluid be ok? Lucas is also synthetic.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I have used the Lucas stuff when I was on a trip and couldn't get the Volvo brand. I topped off and my noises went away. When I got home a couple of days later I did a full fluid flush and change with the Volvo fluid. I would use the Volvo fluid if you can get it but the Lucas or something similar shouldn't hurt it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts