SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all.

While driving to the top of a garage park (multi-storey parking lot) I started hearing a clicking sound coming from the front driver's wheel. It's defintely not the popping sound from the shock towers, I had that before (which was corrected by the dealer).

The sound only came while I was turning right. Nothing while driving straight.

The car is still under warranty, but I'm just wondering if any of you are familiar with this sound.

Lefty

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update. Well, went to the dealer, advised them of the issue. They drew the conclusion that it was the front driver-side axle and had it replaced. Two days later the noise comes back. Have yet to go back to the dealer, but still at a loss as to what it can be.

Only thing that comes to mind is the hub bearing and/or brakes.

Doubt it is the front hub bearing, b/c its a clicking or flicking sound that I hear, and not a moaning or groaning which is customer on a so to be failed hub bearing.

Also dought it is the brakes, b/c I hear the sound while coasting around a turn...

Anyone?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sounds to me like ur brake pads r clacking, Theres currently a tj out for that. Kind of disappointed in ur dealer if that's it. And they can't resolve it. There's even a audio file in the tj of the noise for them to listen too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
we had a clicking noise when we backed out of the driveway with the wheel turned. the dealer diagnosed it as the bushings that support the engine cradle (cant remember term - old age). they are being replaced on friday. see the post i started a few posts down.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yeah that sounds about right, the sub frame bushing is an aluminum sleave w/ some sort of polymer outer, as the bushing wear the aluminum center starts to creek against the body

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. Arming yourself with knowledge is key when going to a dealer.
I'll let you guys know what happens.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
well i just dropped two grand on the xc90. the dealer charged me 1000 in labor to replace teh four subframe bushings (600) and the two rear hubs - only one was making noise. while we were in there i had him replace the two rear rotors with 82k on them and put on akebono pads "for free". i bought the rotors and some small things like wipers from tasca, but had the dealer buy the subframe bushings and hubs just in case things go bad. i also put in teh ibd poly reinforcements.

i feel the difference in the steering, and i dont drive teh car that much.

Which makes me wonder about the logic of some posters that get an xc90 (or any car for that matter) with 100k miles on it and instantly "improve" the suspension with strut braces, sway bars, etc. while ignoring the subframe bushings and pelenty of other rubber that wears out after 80k.

i think the ipd reinforcements make a difference. i know the ride, and steering feedback are not significantly negatively affected if affected at all.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tommm,

How many kms / miles was on your XC90 when you started hearing the noise.

I'm at 20,000 kms, and it seems too early for the subframe bushings.

Your description sounds identical to mine.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
we replaced the bushings at 82k. i would say it started at about 70k miles. 20k kms is probably the sway bar end link if i was just guessing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Tommm,

How many kms / miles was on your XC90 when you started hearing the noise.

I'm at 20,000 kms, and it seems too early for the subframe bushings.

Your description sounds identical to mine.
Could still be the sub-frame bushings, I've replaced many of bushing even in cars w/ low miles. I replaced rear sub frame bushing in two different 12' s60's w/ less that 3k miles on them in the same day and they use the same bushings as the xc90's.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The front driver side click is consistent with worn subframe bushings. However this usually only will give you one click and then you have to change direction to replete the noise, only happens with the wheels turned.*

If you hear a click pause click that's rhythmic if you keep turning I would suggest checking the HSVL props haft joints.*

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all your comments above. Here' s brief update

The sound happens when I turn the wheel, and now, when I start to slow down.

The sound is a rhythmic clicking sound. It is not a single click, but rather a click, click, pause, pause, click, click.

The dealer had already purportedly changed the axle. Is that the same as the HSVL prop shaft joint?

I decided record some video, which hopefully captures the sound. Posted it on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3eT2EuoFUs&feature=plcp

This is the best video that I can get. The sound is barely noticeable in the video, but clearly heard while driving. May have been the way I have been holding my blackberry.

I'm taking it in back to the dealer on Saturday.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not sure this is the same problem but I had a popping noise from the front suspension at low speeds and a clunking noise when turning and braking at high speeds. Dealer replaced both front control arm rear bushings and now all is well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem with my Volvo now LeftyXC90, consistent rhythmic clicking noise between 5-20mph with a sound similar to the noise you have recorded. However when I drive freeway speeds I don't hear anything. It will be great to fill us in with what your dealer says is wrong with it.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Sub-frame bushings change is interesting as that would be the least of the suspect. Glad it was resolved with this bushing change, one to add to my list.

IPD has a HD Sub-frame type bushing, presumably from XC for other models with XC ones being the toughest ones.

we had a clicking noise when we backed out of the driveway with the wheel turned. the dealer diagnosed it as the bushings that support the engine cradle (cant remember term - old age). they are being replaced on friday. see the post i started a few posts down.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yesterday brought the vehicle to another dealership here in Toronto.

After explaining the situation to the guy at the counter, the service manager also asked me a few questions and wondered if I could replicate the problem. I said "sure", and we went for a test drive to a local parking lot. As entirely expected, the rhythmic ticking sound started up again. But this time, it occured when I turned the wheel in either direction.

So, I left the car there and went to work.

After a couple of hours, I got a call from the dealership and advised that the issue has been "fixed". The guy told me that there is a TSB concerning the "too much play" in between the splines of the half shafts and the receiving gear to the tranny (or Haldex). What they did to resolve the problem is pull both half shafts, clean up the splines, regreased the splines, and applied a metal adhesive to the splines. Apparently, the TSB indicates to do this.

So, I took the car and drove home (approximately 20 kms). So far no ticking sounds. I guess the real test is whether this holds up.

The guy at the dealership said if the noise continues to bring the car back. He also told me that the TSB indicates that both half shafts are to be replaced if the above remedy does not work.

Now my only concern is if the "play" was as a result of the receiving gears of the tranny (or haldex) unit being warn out. Hopefully, that's not the case.

I'll keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yesterday brought the vehicle to another dealership here in Toronto.

After explaining the situation to the guy at the counter, the service manager also asked me a few questions and wondered if I could replicate the problem. I said "sure", and we went for a test drive to a local parking lot. As entirely expected, the rhythmic ticking sound started up again. But this time, it occured when I turned the wheel in either direction.

So, I left the car there and went to work.

After a couple of hours, I got a call from the dealership and advised that the issue has been "fixed". The guy told me that there is a TSB concerning the "too much play" in between the splines of the half shafts and the receiving gear to the tranny (or Haldex). What they did to resolve the problem is pull both half shafts, clean up the splines, regreased the splines, and applied a metal adhesive to the splines. Apparently, the TSB indicates to do this.

So, I took the car and drove home (approximately 20 kms). So far no ticking sounds. I guess the real test is whether this holds up.

The guy at the dealership said if the noise continues to bring the car back. He also told me that the TSB indicates that both half shafts are to be replaced if the above remedy does not work.

Now my only concern is if the "play" was as a result of the receiving gears of the tranny (or haldex) unit being warn out. Hopefully, that's not the case.

I'll keep you guys posted.
I just recorded the sound from my XC. Here is a link. Does this sound like the problem you were having?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smzfZMhbTNU&feature=channel&list=UL

Then I went under the car and looked around and saw all this grease coming from the front axle.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts