SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was getting a lot of clicking and clunking from my 04 XC90. Just replaced the CV Drive Shaft on the front right. It fixed the noise from the front end, but I'm still getting a clacking noise that sounds like it's from the middle or rear of the car.

It only happens on acceleration. And it starts about 10 mph and by about 30mph it's gone. It only happens when the gas pedal is depressed. If I lift off, the noise goes away. It doesn't get any worse depending on direction if I'm turning. But it always happens if I accelerate from a stop or a slow speed.

Has anyone had anything similar happen or any ideas what it might be?

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I would check drive shaft play. Move it side to side, and front to back. Just taking a guess, but it could be a bearing. Our V70XC had a similar issue, turned out to be a bearing and we had to replace the whole drive shaft.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting. We actually hung out of the side of the car and are pretty sure the noise is coming from the middle or rear of the car.

Thanks guys. I think I'm just going to drop it off at a mechanic tomorrow morning and have them diagnose it. I can do pretty much any work myself. Hardest part is figuring out what's wrong.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Is your XC90 AWD? It might be the CV joint at the front of the prop shaft. Known to dry up and fail on many AWD Volvos, all the way back to the late 90's XC70s.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts