SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has happened 4 times since the car was new (purchased 7/12):

Car sat locked and unused for a day. Only unlocked and re-locked once in 24 hours.
Started out on a 80 degree afternoon Auto climate was already set on 70 degrees from a hot day two days ago.
After traveling about a mile, the AC was a little too cold so I bumped the setting up to 72 on both sides.
After about half a mile the AC quit cooling completely. The fan was still blowing but the air was hot and humid.
I set the temperature all the way down to LO. The fan speed increased but still blew hot air.
No amount of fiddling with temps or shutting AC off/on would produce cool air again.

The only way I found to bring the AC back was to pull off the road, turn off the engine, and restart.
After that, the AC worked normally for the rest of the trip.

The first time this happened, dealer service replaced a pressure sensor 31368366-6.
But the problem remains.

Any Ideas?

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Short answer, take it back in and get a loaner vehicle until they resolve it

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I've not seen sensor 31368366 go bad as of yet. My money is on the AC Pressure Control Solenoid in the AC Compressor. They've been known to stick.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Nick & Patrick-

I left the car with the dealer today. Suggested compressor pressure control solenoid.
I guess it's just going to be a parts-swapping hit-or-miss exercise since there's no way to predict when the symptom will occur.
The only thing that's predictable is that a restart always clears the fault (so far).
I wonder how many other sticky-prone relays and switches are involved in AC operation?
I'll post details to the forum if/when it seems to be fixed.

-Lee

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello,

I am having the same problem with my 2012 Volvo XC60, and my car is currently in the shop for the second year in a row. Please update your condition and repair work. My mechanics are at a loss. Today, it dawned on my that the heat might be coming on because the air coming from the vents is warmer than the outside air.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello,

Here is a copy of my recent post about AC trouble. Maybe it will help you.

I have a 2012 Volvo XC60 with 100,000 miles and intermittent air conditioner trouble. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced the condition described below.

Problem: The air conditioner goes on and off at unpredictable times. This can last for an hour or more at a time.

Current Repair Attempts: (1) Add Refrigerant, clean dust and debris from sensor under dashboard. This was not successful. (2) Mechanic notes on second attempt - Found system low on refrigerant again, no visible sign of a leak in system. Discharge and evacuate system to determine how low. Induce system into a vacuum to remove any moisture from system and recharge system with spec. Charge of refrigerant, added leak check dye to system to aid in locating system leak. Road test to verify proper operation. Recommend returning in a week or 2 to recheck for leaks.

I am currently in the 2 week wait period, and would welcome input from anyone who has experience with the XC60 air conditioner system. So far, I have had 50/50 AC and Heat. So frustrating.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello,

Here is a copy of my recent post about AC trouble. Maybe it will help you.

I have a 2012 Volvo XC60 with 100,000 miles and intermittent air conditioner trouble. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced the condition described below.

Problem: The air conditioner goes on and off at unpredictable times. This can last for an hour or more at a time.

Current Repair Attempts: (1) Add Refrigerant, clean dust and debris from sensor under dashboard. This was not successful. (2) Mechanic notes on second attempt - Found system low on refrigerant again, no visible sign of a leak in system. Discharge and evacuate system to determine how low. Induce system into a vacuum to remove any moisture from system and recharge system with spec. Charge of refrigerant, added leak check dye to system to aid in locating system leak. Road test to verify proper operation. Recommend returning in a week or 2 to recheck for leaks.

I am currently in the 2 week wait period, and would welcome input from anyone who has experience with the XC60 air conditioner system. So far, I have had 50/50 AC and Heat. So frustrating.
I was perusing this board because I bought a 2019 S60 T5. I also still have a 2009 S40 I’m continuing to use for short-distance work travel. Anyway, this issue resonated with me because the most buggy system in the S40 has been the AC. I’ve had the compressor replaced twice, and had another issue with a switch in the last 6 years. I had the S40 in the shop again last month because sometimes the AC worked and sometimes it didn’t. It usually was fine for about 30 minutes and also after the sun had set. I could get bursts of cool air after it started to warm up by cycling the AC button off and on. The diagnosis was the compressor clutch needed adjusting. They made that adjustment and it works beautifully now. There was some speculation that at least one previous compressor replacement may not have been necessary. We’ll never know.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Ann, I'm sorry to hear you too are having intermittent AC. I am not a mechanic, but there are several good ones on this site that can help.
I have owned several Volvos over the years and experienced my share of AC problems (along with many other system malfunctions).
Blowing the dust out of the dash sensor actually did fix AC problems in my '99 S70 one time.
If you are losing refrigerant, that needs to be tracked down and fixed first. My last experience with that turned out to be a hard-to-see compressor shaft seal.
Hopefully, the fluid loss will be your only problem. Has your AC worked properly since the vac-and-recharge procedure?

I will definitely post the solution to my problem when/if it is found.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was perusing this board because I bought a 2019 S60 T5. I also still have a 2009 S40 I’m continuing to use for short-distance work travel. Anyway, this issue resonated with me because the most buggy system in the S40 has been the AC. I’ve had the compressor replaced twice, and had another issue with a switch in the last 6 years. I had the S40 in the shop again last month because sometimes the AC worked and sometimes it didn’t. It usually was fine for about 30 minutes and also after the sun had set. I could get bursts of cool air after it started to warm up by cycling the AC button off and on. The diagnosis was the compressor clutch needed adjusting. They made that adjustment and it works beautifully now. There was some speculation that at least one previous compressor replacement may not have been necessary. We’ll never know.

The compressor clutch has come up in several conversations throughout these forums. I'm going to take this information to my mechanic first thing in the morning. Thank you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
ljjones,

My mechanic blew dust and debris out of the dash sensor a few weeks ago because I go to horse facility every day. The AC worked well for two weeks then stopped on a long trip during a heat spell. Now I have dye in the added refrigerant, but am back to intermittent AC. I am keeping a daily log of car use and AC function. So far, I have AC in the morning, and heat in the afternoon and evening.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ann, that would indicate you have more problems than just low refrigerant (as I'm sure you have already concluded).
I have never used one, but I understand there are recorders that plug into the CAN/OBD connector and record system operation for you as you drive.
Maybe your shop has one of those?

·
Registered
19 Posts
ljjones,

I made a daily log of each time my AC went off for three days and took it, and my car, to Hoffmann's Automotive in Davis, Ca. They accepted the challenge, researched the problem through the night, inspected my car most of today, and have a possible solution. Here is an article that clearly describes the problem, and the repair! The part is ordered, and my car should be repaired on Monday! The total repair cost is $174.00.

Ann

P.S. This part was also replaced on my car in March of 2018. The AC worked perfectly until March of 2019. My mechanic mentioned that the pressure switch was not replaced with an official Volvo part because it is no longer made.

It was also recommended that I take my car to a Volvo dealership for a computer scan to see if there is a problem with the software.

Symptoms of a Bad or Failing AC Pressure Switch

If the AC is cutting on and off rapidly, unable to cool the cabin, or failing to turn on the compressor, you should replace your AC pressure switch.

The AC pressure switch is a safety switch that is mounted on both the high and low sides of the air conditioning system. It monitors the pressure of the refrigerant on its respective side of the system. There is a high side pressure switch, and low side pressure switch, and they both serve to monitor the system for pressure faults that can damage the compressor.

When the pressure is too low, the compressor risks damage due to running with low oil. When it is too high, the compressor is at risk of overheating and becoming damaged. Depending on which side of the system the sensor is mounted in, when the pressure rises too high or drops too low, the switch will turn off the compressor to prevent damage from occurring. As the pressure switches serve to protect the compressor and rest of the system from damage, they play an important role for the proper function and service life of an AC system, so they should be replaced if they are causing problems. When they begin to fail they will usually display a few symptoms that will alert the driver of a potential problem.

1. AC system cutting on and off rapidly

Repeatedly cycling on and off is part of the normal operation of an AC system. There are periods where the AC is turned off, such as when the proper temperature has been reached, and the pressure is adequate. However, if the system is cycling on and off very frequently or more rapidly than normal, it could be a sign that the cycling switch is not functioning properly.

2. Unable to cool the car

If either of the AC pressure switches fails, then the system will have a difficult time maintaining the pressure required to function properly. If the pressure is not right, then the AC system will not be able to produce the cold air required to adequately cool the cabin. You may notice that the cabin takes longer than usual to reach the correct temperature, or may not even be able to reach the correct temperature at all.

3. Compressor not coming on

As the pressure switches control the on/off function of the AC compressor, a switch failure can prevent the AC compressor from functioning at all. The compressor is what pumps refrigerant through the entire system. If it is not functioning, then the system can not operate, and will be unable to produce cold air.
Symptoms of a Bad or Failing AC Pressure Switch

If the AC is cutting on and off rapidly, unable to cool the cabin, or failing to turn on the compressor, you should replace your AC pressure switch.
by Eduardo Ruelas on January 06, 2016Because the AC pressure switches play such a vital role in ensuring the proper operation and service life of the AC system, any problems with them should be addressed immediately to ensure the integrity of the system. If you suspect that one of your AC switches is bad or failing, have it diagnosed by a professional technician from YourMechanic. If necessary, they will be able to replace your AC pressure switch so that you can ensure the system remains functioning correctly.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ann, it sounds like you are on track for a successful repair!
I hope their diagnosis is correct and you have a cool car for the rest of the year (and several more too).

My car is still in the shop, and I have received no reports yet.
I'll be calling for an update on Friday if they don't contact me first.
I do know they changed a pressure sensor with no results. I think that is somewhat equivalent to your pressure switch.

I'm in a decent loaner and my car is under warranty -- so they can take their time -- so long as the eventual fix is effective.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I talked with the service manager today. So far, he has not been able to see the AC fail in 80 miles of test driving.
He informs me he can't change the compressor pressure control solenoid until the "tech line" gives him permission.
I suggested, since I always saw the problem within a few miles of home, that he take short trips, each followed by several hours parked and locked.

I was hoping he would just change the solenoid first thing and give me the car back. I could tell within a couple of weeks if that fixed the problem.
If that didn't fix it we could move on to the next part. But that doesn't seem to fit their protocol.
I guess they have to experience the failure first hand to get permission to do the work. Maybe the shorter test drives will trigger the symptom for them.

Meanwhile, the loaner 2019 S60 is OK. But it's a T5 FWD without much on it. I'm missing my T6 Inscription already.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Success!!! After 8 days. (I hope.)
I got my car back tonight. Multiple test drives finally triggered the problem.
The tech traced lack of compressor voltage to a wiring harness connector pin improperly installed in the connector housing.
We're all hoping the repair of this intermittent connection fixes the problem for good.
Connector 94-301 pin #39 gets the blame.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just a quick follow-up on this thread for the archive:

The loose connector pin was definitely a good fix. The car has now made multiple road trips in all kinds of weather. The A/C has worked perfectly every time. My faith is restored in Volvo techs and their troubleshooting procedures.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts