SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
101 - 112 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Sorry TC...
Wasn’t intending to offend you.
Some ppl aren’t aware that Geely part owns Volvo
No way, really? Anyway, I’m totally not offended. Just didn’t want other people to think I’m a racist by not wanting to use China pads on the SPA. This truck is just too heavy.

I’d be prepared to bet that the Italian made pads Volvo use are actually cheaper than a quality Chinese pad
Nah. OE:

Stoptech China rears:

Reaaally cheap Rears:

My personal experience with Italian made stuff...clothes and fashion ok, anything mechanical is questionable. The Italians are passionate about design though (and love!) and their stuff looks good but they’re quite lackadaisical when it comes to manufacturing. Again, my experience/observations - not intending to spark a debate.
/peace brother/
Haha! Right?!? Shoes, espresso machines? Italian. Cars and motorcycles? Japanese. That said, both my 2 wheelers are Italian as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
242 Posts
What they’re sold for and what they buy them for are two different things
Fun fact - The Volvo OE rear pads are used on Jags, land rovers and range rovers too.
But we digress....
Great post from VunderVagen

·
Registered
654 Posts
The new rear pads I got from Volvo back in May are light blue, has Volvo made a running change to them or did my dealer install something else?

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
From a brake performance standpoint, my 2017 T8 has had no problems with noise or braking characteristics. My one complaint has been dust. I don't like my 21 inch wheels looking dirty from dark brown/black dust. So I have ventured out looking for pads that would not dust as much as OEM and still stop. The wear aspect is less important to me. If the dust is low and they only last a year or 12,000 miles then I am happy.

As for China. I realized no one here is bashing China over Italy or any other Country in this particular thread. Having said that I would not be surprised if others not commenting were thinking the same. I taught Supply Chain Management Certificate for Cal State Fullerton University for around 5 years. I see China as often a misunderstood Country. They like many of the Countries in that region of the World want to expand their export business. They will try and accommodate what the customer asks for. Unfortunately in the United States in particular buyers often value price over anything else. They push the Chinese to lower their prices well beyond what is practical. Often this can end up with inferior products making their way to our shores. I blame the United States not the Chinese. But given Nationalistic tendencies we tend to support the home front. Hell we are graduating more Chinese PhDs from the United States then most any other nationality. China is overtaking the United States and the rest of the World in trade and commerce. While we are on top the heap so to speak at present it will probably change in the remainder of my lifetime. We have lost a lot of manufacturing jobs in the United States because Corporate greed sought cheaper and cheaper materials so that they would not need to change how they did business internally. In the end Management is the fault for many of our problems today. They have forced the workers to lean out while rewarding themselves in the short term with higher wages and bonuses. I think I can say this as I was a member of management for many years and witnessed first hand the bad decisions that were made. Volvo is flourishing today because of the Chinese. We may not like it, but it is true.

As for the braking issue, lets be fair. If the Volvo brakes were not having problems this would not be the topic of so many treads. The sad truth is that braking is not only an issue for Volvo but other brands as well. That is the fault of engineering and the bean counters. I personally enjoy modifying my cars so that they look and behave better in my mind's eye.

·
Registered
391 Posts
exactly, the US pretty much sought maximum profit while our gov also encouraged it in the past, in the name of deregulation and free enterprise. But hey, lets blame the boogie man. China does have issues but alot of our undoing comes from within.

I've been around and dealt with many types of people to realize that many people do not want to further themselves but want a handout, but then complain about others getting a handout.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
The new rear pads I got from Volvo back in May are light blue, has Volvo made a running change to them or did my dealer install something else?
The pads I posted above are fronts, not rears. But yes, there were at least 2 running changes for the rears.

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,082 Posts
I just wanted to revive this thread and see if anybody else has gone the Aftermarket/BBK route since. I'm planning to use the same setup WunderWagen (David) has used on his XC90, on my V90CC. I wanted to check if anyone else has gone with either a StopTech or a Brembo or Polestar aftermarket kit and if there are any takeaways before I take a call.

Thanks, all!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just wanted to revive this thread and see if anybody else has gone the Aftermarket/BBK route since. I'm planning to use the same setup WunderWagen (David) has used on his XC90, on my V90CC. I wanted to check if anyone else has gone with either a StopTech or a Brembo or Polestar aftermarket kit and if there are any takeaways before I take a call.

Thanks, all!

Same. I have been looking at the Viva Brembo Kit, but would love to get a front and rear set up like Wunder. Any news?

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,082 Posts
Same. I have been looking at the Viva Brembo Kit, but would love to get a front and rear set up like Wunder. Any news?
Long and short of it, I backed out of buying a BBK at the last minute and plan to do it sometime this year, after the pandemic situation is over.

All I found from my weeks of research is currently, Stoptech, Brembo, and Rotora does aftermarket BBKs for our Volvos. Stoptech and Rotora are more or less similarly priced, while Brembo might be expensive. Found a couple of part numbers of the Brembo kit which might fit our Volvos, 1N3.9540A3 and 1N3.9540AS. SOS Performance and Viva Performance seem to be the go-to places for Stoptech BBK, back when I was busy researching. I got a quote of around $3k from SOS performance for the Stoptech BBK which David has (6-Piston caliper with 380 rotors, and all other necessary hardware). Viva performance has similar pricing for Stoptech, although the kit is not advertised on their website. The Brembos seem to be more in the $5k range on the Viva Performance website.

Take a look at the S60 sub-forums for Rotora BBK kits. They seem to be similarly priced as Stoptech.

That's all the info I got on the BBKs until I start re-researching on them later this year. I hope this information helps. :beer:

·
Registered
2018 Volvo XC90 T6 R-Design with air suspension and B&W Sound system
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
My XC90 with Stoptech is now at 26k miles and no issues... no warping, no squeaking, and wear seems to be doing well.

For those checking the Viva website, as mentioned above they offer Brembo which is higher cost and also Stoptech which should be sub $3k for the front BBK.

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,082 Posts
@WunderWagen - Where did you get those custom Polestar decals for your Calipers? Are they ready to buy of the shelf on some website or were they custom-made by you? Please advice. Thanks!

·
Registered
2018 Volvo XC90 T6 R-Design with air suspension and B&W Sound system
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
Hi Volvolic, I purchased them from a company in the UK listed below... When I installed them I sanded the caliper face to remove the Stoptech logo and then used Duplicolor silver caliper paint to refinish the caliper face. Once dry I then applied the Polestar decal. I did also have the caliper Ceramic Coated before installation.

https://www.brakecaliperdecals.co.uk/Volvo-Polestar-Brake-Caliper-Decals

101 - 112 of 112 Posts