SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
41 - 60 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Looks like stoptech is making rotors and pads for our car for those who don't want to upgrade to BBK: http://www.centricparts.com/products/stoptech-sport-brake-pads. However it shows that brake rotors have 2 sizes: 366/340 front/rear and 345/320 front/rear. How do we check which one that comes with our car? I assume my 21 inch wheel should clear that 366/340 one but I'm not positive.
Just guessing but I wonder if the larger ones are for the T8 ? I for one would like to know - got a T8.

·
Registered
2018 Volvo XC90 T6 R-Design with air suspension and B&W Sound system
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Too funny, had this pic taken as part of the BBK development. It is the stock front suspension... check the “China” on the Volvo upright! Guess we are all doomed!

On a more serious note, the brake kit install is to tomorrow. I will be sure to take plenty of pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
261 Posts
Too funny, had this pic taken as part of the BBK development. It is the stock front suspension... check the “China” on the Volvo upright! Guess we are all doomed!

On a more serious note, the brake kit install is to tomorrow. I will be sure to take plenty of pics.

Looking forward to the pics and your thoughts on the upgrade. I find the stock brakes OK at city and lower speeds. However, at highway speeds with a sudden slow down(stopped traffic), I really notice the brakes could use more bite and stopping power. I noticed a slight vibration through the steering wheel when braking after a few hundred miles, and now at 2,500 I feel a lot of vibration when braking at higher speeds. I have an appointment next week for the dealer to address the issue.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Looking forward to the pics and your thoughts on the upgrade. I find the stock brakes OK at city and lower speeds. However, at highway speeds with a sudden slow down(stopped traffic), I really notice the brakes could use more bite and stopping power. I noticed a slight vibration through the steering wheel when braking after a few hundred miles, and now at 2,500 I feel a lot of vibration when braking at higher speeds. I have an appointment next week for the dealer to address the issue.
Let’s us know how that goes for you
I’ve complained for ages about it and all I was told it’s the road conditions and the tiers. Pads and discs replaced and it goes away for another 2-3k miles.
My thoughts are there isn’t enough pressure on the pads once they’re a bit worn.
In the past Volvo used to add shims to eliminate this issue. I don’t know if they still do.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Okay, took quite a few hours but finally got the BBK and rear rotors on. We only had time to bed them in so not much drive time yet. The pedal feel is good, maybe a little firmer than stock but the best so far is no noise! They look great and the rotor size improvement should be noticeable on more spirited driving which I hope to try soon.

On to the pics...

·
Registered
702 Posts
Looks great. What took so long to get it all done?
I just did a similar upgrade to my Wrangler and it took me about 20 minutes each corner.
Bleeding another 15.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
This is a race shop who is very meticulous. We just took our time rechecking everything to make sure it was 100%. In the end it was a standard brake service with no big surprises... although we did have a clearance issue with the valve stems on my Vossen wheels because they are in the middle part of the wheel and had extra long valve stems. All we had to do was change them out to shorter stems.

·
Registered
898 Posts
This is a race shop who is very meticulous. We just took our time rechecking everything to make sure it was 100%. In the end it was a standard brake service with no big surprises... although we did have a clearance issue with the valve stems on my Vossen wheels because they are in the middle part of the wheel and had extra long valve stems. All we had to do was change them out to shorter stems.

It looks great, you got much more pad touching the discs, which I’m guessing will have a great breaking effect and better force, less vibrations and proper wear of the pads.

Seems you had to remove the tray panel behind the original front discs. I’m correct to think so or the pictures are playing games on my eyes ?

·
Registered
702 Posts
The only thing im worried about is the caliper clearing our 20's and 22's.
I've had this issue in the past when upgrading to a BBK. I ended buying wheels with a more aggressive offset.
I could just get wheel spacers if we run into this issue with the XC90 but i'd like to be prepared.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
It looks great, you got much more pad touching the discs, which I’m guessing will have a great breaking effect and better force, less vibrations and proper wear of the pads.

Seems you had to remove the tray panel behind the original front discs. I’m correct to think so or the pictures are playing games on my eyes ?

Yes, I had the splash shield removed for this install. The shop said they could have bent it back a little to clear but I prefer the better cooling with it removed.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
The only thing im worried about is the caliper clearing our 20's and 22's.
I've had this issue in the past when upgrading to a BBK. I ended buying wheels with a more aggressive offset.
I could just get wheel spacers if we run into this issue with the XC90 but i'd like to be prepared.
The clearance I have now is really good. Of course I am running 20x10.5” custom offset Vossen wheels. I can try mounting a factory R-Design wheel to see if it clears okay. Might be able to do that this coming weekend.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Yes, I had the splash shield removed for this install. The shop said they could have bent it back a little to clear but I prefer the better cooling with it removed.

That actually might be a good idea for cooling

+ 1

to see how it fits on 22” OE rims.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
They did a great job! Please keep is posted about how it drives, wether it increases dive (I don’t think it will), or anything else. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Now I understand and see the need for the upgrade. One can clearly see that the brakes are larger and cover a bigger area than stock.

Well done. We'll await reports on their usage and the car's behaviour over time

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I don’t know if there’s a way to compare the size (surface area) of stock front brake pads to the Stoptech pads for this setup. I don’t think that it can be done with this particular upgrade because the new pads are on the vehicle and the old pads have been disposed of. Hopefully specs can be provided by stoptech. I’ll be pursuing this answer if or when I get closer to pulling the trigger.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I don’t know if there’s a way to compare the size (surface area) of stock front brake pads to the Stoptech pads for this setup. I don’t think that it can be done with this particular upgrade because the new pads are on the vehicle and the old pads have been disposed of. Hopefully specs can be provided by stoptech. I’ll be pursuing this answer if or when I get closer to pulling the trigger.
I’m pretty sure it’s almost double just from looking at the pictures.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I’m sure the larger rotors will have better heat dissipation leading to better braking for numerous reasons but the size of the rotor or even the size of the caliper are not an indication of the size of the brake pads. The surface area of the brake pads is what needs to be increased to extend the service life of the brakes. I’m sure it can also be done by increasing the pad thickness but that’s a different topic. I’m not an engineer, just a layman trying to understand so feel free to correct me if I’m wrong.

Please understand that I’m not questioning wether the vehicle will stop quicker, I’m sure it will. But I have no problem with the braking distance now, the responsive safety systems which includes the brakes has gotten me out of trouble a few times. I’m looking to mechanically increase the service intervals between brake jobs. From my understanding, that can either be done by increasing the braking surface, brake pad thickness or brake pad material (or any combination of the three). Hopefully this doesn’t take us too far down the rabbit whole but please keep in mind that I just wanted to know the difference between the new pads and the old.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Maybe OP needs to consider doing a 60-0mph brake stop 3 times on a dry test circuit and tell us what he noticed compared to stock kit.

Anything to make the car stop quicker and within a short distance will be welcomed, though at the risk of being banged from the rear

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Well, I finally did some street and highway driving today and at low speeds it is similar to stock just without the squealing. I did a test on a freeway offramp from 65 to 20 and yes it is a noticeable difference! I was not able to compare stopping distances to stock as I never measured the factory system but it sure seemed to stop quicker and with no drama.

I also tried the ACC and Pilot Assist features and the new brakes did not seem to impact them at all. :)

I think one of the bigger benefits for this larger brake kit will be for those who tow or drive over mountains. On my 2016 driving Hwy 88 from San Jose to Carson City is what I think warped the rotors coming down from the top and having to be on the brakes quiet a bit.

If anyone wants a link to where they can get the kit just PM me.

41 - 60 of 112 Posts