SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
21 - 40 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I understand majority of brake rotors (and many many other casted iron products) are made in China, my career revolves around logistics & global trade -- as demonstrated by linking of Importgenius. The ethnicity of ownership, as well as the location of their warehouse (Cerritos, CA - a SoCal city with award-winning library and #1 rated public HS in CA) have nothing to do with anything beyond imparting information, same for listing the number of DBAs this 15-person firm is operating under (importer of record different from trade name, different from state incorporation, for what? better to evade financial and fiduciary responsibility?)

All of this is YMMV, FWIW, buyers beware kind of info. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with some aftermarket products (think: NGK plugs) vs OE products, but why the heck would anyone install rotors with nebulous exact factory origins (though Longkou Orsail Auto Parts does supply Centric as well, and Ruili Group Ruian Auto Parts is publicly traded on NASDAQ) and untested performance, i.e. where are actual braking performance benchmarks, over warrantied OE products when 3 generations of my fam are all riding in the car. Yes, I understand rear braking performance is only something like 30% of total brake forces; reputation still counts for "something" despite the current administration.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I understand majority of brake rotors (and many many other casted iron products) are made in China, my career revolves around logistics & global trade -- as demonstrated by linking of Importgenius. The ethnicity of ownership, as well as the location of their warehouse (Cerritos, CA - a SoCal city with award-winning library and #1 rated public HS in CA) have nothing to do with anything beyond imparting information, same for listing the number of DBAs this 15-person firm is operating under (importer of record different from trade name, different from state incorporation, for what? better to evade financial and fiduciary responsibility?)

All of this is YMMV, FWIW, buyers beware kind of info. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with some aftermarket products (think: NGK plugs) vs OE products, but why the heck would anyone install rotors with nebulous exact factory origins (though Longkou Orsail Auto Parts does supply Centric as well, and Ruili Group Ruian Auto Parts is publicly traded on NASDAQ) and untested performance, i.e. where are actual braking performance benchmarks, over warrantied OE products when 3 generations of my fam are all riding in the car. Yes, I understand rear braking performance is only something like 30% of total brake forces; reputation still counts for "something" despite the current administration.
I’m guessing you’re someone who doesn’t modify their car. Always buying OEM parts?

What you’re saying can apply to most aftermarket parts or parts not meant for the application. The aftermarket world as a whole is buyer beware but it’s also a multi million .. billion? dollar industry. If you don’t like the game just don’t play it.

·
Registered
2018 Volvo XC90 T6 R-Design with air suspension and B&W Sound system
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
this +100:

spektrum brake aka Zion Automotive aka R1 concept:
https://www.corporationwiki.com/p/2mqlyc/spektrum-brakes-llc

here are some importer records:
https://www.importgenius.com/importers/r1-concepts-dba-zion

Let me see... do I want to run Volvo warrantied products (though a bit smaller in diameter) or do I want to run China products being imported by some Vietnamese folks, running 3 DBAs with a warehouse literally down the street. :facepalm:
Do I trust brakes from a company I have used for the past 10 years with no issues on many vehicles or continue with the Volvo ones that can't stop squealing or wearing out prematurely? ... ;)

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Update: I have my appointment on Monday to have the kit installed... I will be taking pictures during the process to share. I will let everyone know how it is once I get them installed. For those that have contacted me for more info on getting these brakes, please give me until I get the kit installed and tested before replying back as I want to make sure this kit is good to go. :)

·
Registered
279 Posts
I'm curious about what impact there will be to brake balance. I did front BBK only on my last SUV and there was a noticeable change in balance - the car started diving a bit more. Braking performance was much better but there were some tradeoffs. Also brake feel changed slightly due to the higher fluid volumes the calipers required. Still within range of the OEM master cylinder but the modulation and pedal pressure did change.

This is an intriguing mod so I'm eager to see how it work out.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I'm curious about what impact there will be to brake balance. I did front BBK only on my last SUV and there was a noticeable change in balance - the car started diving a bit more. Braking performance was much better but there were some tradeoffs. Also brake feel changed slightly due to the higher fluid volumes the calipers required. Still within range of the OEM master cylinder but the modulation and pedal pressure did change.

This is an intriguing mod so I'm eager to see how it work out.
I believe our modern cars have an advanced ABS that can accommodate this upgrade with electronic brake distribution. I noticed the Polestar edition S60 did the front upgrade while still using factory rear brakes. I am not expecting any issues with our modern brake systems but will report once I get this system installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Respectfully... I am having trouble understanding the need for these brakes other than for looks. These types of brakes are great for your GT4 track toy where you need to dissipate huge amounts of heat repeatedly, but doubt you will see any benefit getting the groceries.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Respectfully... I am having trouble understanding the need for these brakes other than for looks. These types of brakes are great for your GT4 track toy where you need to dissipate huge amounts of heat repeatedly, but doubt you will see any benefit getting the groceries.
Every and any car would benefit from better brakes. Especially if you tow. The stock brakes feel inadequate for the size/weight of the XC90.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I’m guessing you’re someone who doesn’t modify their car. Always buying OEM parts?
have had enough modified cars (s2ki/amg/miatas, etc) and would still never run a brand such as spektrum brakes. what's the hot garbage CF company that used to knock off veilside back in the 90s? Spektrum is like that. also currently running Conti timing belts + NGK plugs on vR, so no, i'm guessing i'm not that "someone"?

What you’re saying can apply to most aftermarket parts or parts not meant for the application. The aftermarket world as a whole is buyer beware but it’s also a multi million .. billion? dollar industry. If you don’t like the game just don’t play it.
Indeed I'm not playing, and the aftermarket industry as a whole has weakened tremendously since the late aughts. source: I transport Chinese auto parts.

Do I trust brakes from a company I have used for the past 10 years with no issues on many vehicles or continue with the Volvo ones that can't stop squealing or wearing out prematurely? ... ;)
so... I was one of those who bitched incessantly about brake squeal and have 2 thoughts, one of which will may help you tremendously:
1) during the last service, dealership mechanics slathered the rear brake pad backings with brake pad grease. I've always just figured this was a grease/anti-squeal issue, and so far, I'm 3K mi squeal free. Cost: $0.
2) there's no guarantee premature wear will be "fixed" by these aftermarket (China made) brake pad compounds. Hell, if you have to replace them, stealership won't warranty aftermarket pads under good will, AND!!! your pad selection is limited to stoptech/spektrum. This is a lose-lose-lose situation. Hard pass especially because most of our cars are still under warranty.

Come 2021, sure, I'd play with this setup, but seriously, wtf would anyone touch these rn when the cars are 2018s?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Not sure why all the concern on StopTech as they have been around for some time and have a very good reputation for braking systems.

The reason I upgraded was due to my experience with the factory brakes being less than perfect... on my 2016 the brakes had to be replaced twice, once for squeal and then again for the fronts warping... all within 14k miles!

The 2018 still has the brake squeal issue so rather than go through another round of swapping out brake parts I decided to try a proven aftermarket option with StopTech. Brakes are a wear item anyways, the only warranty coverage you get is when they are defective from Volvo which is what I am trying to avoid in the first place. LOL

The Chinese hate on this forum is too funny since most car manufacturers use China parts in them somewhere and Volvo is owned by a Chinese company... China does not always = bad stuff

·
Registered
11 Posts
Every and any car would benefit from better brakes. Especially if you tow. The stock brakes feel inadequate for the size/weight of the XC90.
I doubt the Volvo engineers designed the XC90 with inadequate brakes. With a factor of safety in mind, the engineers optimize the brakes to function beyond the documented towing limits of the car. The Volvo brakes are perfectly capable of locking up the wheels, the point just before lockup is the best braking you can get. If you want to stop sooner, you need more grip on the road or a lighter car, neither of these have anything to do with brakes.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Looks good. Why did you choose StopTech over Brembo, Alcon, or Wilwood or the other companies out there?
There is a Brembo kit I found for the XC90 but it uses 405mm rotors that probably wouldn’t fit behind my 20” wheels and it cost almost $5000!

StopTech was willing to build a more street friendly kit to my specs so I choose them.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I doubt the Volvo engineers designed the XC90 with inadequate brakes. With a factor of safety in mind, the engineers optimize the brakes to function beyond the documented towing limits of the car. The Volvo brakes are perfectly capable of locking up the wheels, the point just before lockup is the best braking you can get. If you want to stop sooner, you need more grip on the road or a lighter car, neither of these have anything to do with brakes.
The Volvo engineers may have designed something within safety spec but out of
my own preference. “Locking up the wheels” means absolutely nothing when it comes to braking. In fact that’s what you don’t want to happen. Read about brake fade and the benefits of a BBK. I’m not here to teach anyone physics. Just to thank someone for discovering a better solution.

Next you’ll want to argue that more hp/torque is not important and we should be buying something else if that’s what we want.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Wow, did you just stop me in my tracks! This month i was scheduled to simply powder coat my calipers. Not sure about how good they would come out. I have been spending the last couple of weeks getting quotes from my dealer on a new of calipers, then find someone locally who could do a decent effort on the power coating, then get a quote to put the calipers on the vehicle....whew...a lot of money and a lot of back and forth.

....as for the brakes being adequate or not, my XC90 R-Design is less than a year old and I already had to replace the rotors under warranty. So, maybe I can vouch that what they designed is inadequate for the vehicles size. Oh, in fact a Volvo technician told me just that.

Any, I would be very, very interested in these brakes in a color I should hope.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Well, no one else makes custom rotors for an XC90. Besides, I have used R1 Concepts brakes on VW, Audi, and Porsche vehicles with no issues.

Just to add to the discussion on R1Concepts - I have had their premier series drilled slotted on my Lexus SC430 for about 18k miles now with great results when paired with Akebono ceramic pads. Used Power Stop with Posi Quiet ceramics on the Lexus in the past and that did not work so well - lasted about 10-12k miles before vibrations set in. And the OEMs developed high spots soon after I started using ceramic pads as well in the past.

Had R1concepts premier series OEM rotors on our old 2010 MDX from about 55k miles up to about 92k miles with OEM Acura pads. Perfect combination, worked very well.

Recently, been having issues with OEM MB pads and rotors on our GLK - vibrations at 17k miles, replaced full OEM, all 4 corners, with 50% discount from MB, and vibrations again at 25k miles. Daimler AG is a much bigger company than R1concepts as far as I know, but their choice of rotors for OEM MB parts seems highly questionable. Got R1concepts dimpled/slotted premium series rotors ( not the lower priced eLine ) for all 4 corners with R1concepts pads - installed last week. Perfect for now but it has been only a week. Damn they look good. They also gave me a further discount for being dimpled because what I had wanted was full cross drilled like on my Lexus conv.

Our MB CLS started getting vibrations at about 25k miles, now at 29.9k. Bought R1concepts dimpled/slotted rears but they do not make front rotors for the CLS so I went with Brembo drilled. Bought R1concepts pads.

So you know, maybe they are Viet owned ( did not know that so thanks TONYC for the info ) but the ownership never mattered to me for a product like brakes. It's about the experience using the products and I have had good experience with R1concepts and it seems like I am not alone. Viet-owned, Caucasian-owned, African-owned, Chinese-owned - just doesn't matter for a rational consumer like me. Product quality and experience under regular use is what matters to me. I may actually not be in the minority here. And I am not Viet.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Thanks OP, I really feel the XC90's braking is lacking (it was able to stop, but not confident inspiring). Would be interested to know how does stock master cylinder handles the BBK as well. Nowadays S90L sedans are made in China so I wouldn't question the quality just because it's made in China. It seems to be a quite childish react against Chinese made product without proof.
Has anyone compared R1Concepts' braking product to OEM and proved it was inferior? If not please appreciate that OP provided one more choice regarding braking performance for our cars.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I’ve always believed that good quality aftermarket discs and pad are way better than OEM, I believe OEM are made with mid quality to ensure sales for maintenance and repairs.
I’m specifically talking out of experience with LX570 as the front pads won’t last more than 10-15k miles and the discs about double that.

I went with a product called DBA for discs “Australian made somewhere else” and semi ceramic pad of the same company. “They came free with discs”

It lasted me circa 27k miles for pads and discs about 5 years with no servicing other than cleaning each pad change.

21 - 40 of 112 Posts