SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Volvo XC90 T6 R-Design with air suspension and B&W Sound system
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, just wanted to share that I helped develop a StopTech BBK for the front on my T6 XC90. This is part of the customization I am doing to create my own Polestar edition XC90. I am just finishing up the body work now and should be installing this BBK shortly. Will post finished pics once it is on and create a thread on my custom XC90 too. ;)

This is the 380mm slotted rotors with 6 piston ST60 calipers that I custom painted and added Polestar decals too.

Looking forward to no more brake squeal and great stopping power.

Also adding a set of anodized slotted rear rotors in stock size to match the front.

David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
994 Posts
Wow! Want. Are the front rotors Girodisk? I think one of the vendors here was working on a front BBK as well but have not heard anything in awhile.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Wow, that setup really looks great! What are the size of the original front rotors and I’d guess the original calipers are one or two piston?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Hello everyone, just wanted to share that I helped develop a StopTech BBK for the front on my T6 XC90. This is part of the customization I am doing to create my own Polestar edition XC90. I am just finishing up the body work now and should be installing this BBK shortly. Will post finished pics once it is on and create a thread on my custom XC90 too. ;)

This is the 380mm slotted rotors with 6 piston ST60 calipers that I custom painted and added Polestar decals too.

Looking forward to no more brake squeal and great stopping power.

Also adding a set of anodized slotted rear rotors in stock size to match the front.

David

Wow! That looks awesome. I think you somehow also need the "Blue hue" of Polestar on those calipers

Concerning slotted disks: Someone once told me unless you also change the brake pads to suit those disks, you risk having noisy braking with those slotted disks.

Do you know if this is true and if so, what kind of brake pads will you now use to suit those disks?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
261 Posts
That is great. I was wondering if anyone made a kit. The first thing I noticed about this vehicle is the brakes felt undersized. I felt the vibration of high spots or warped rotors within a few hundred miles on our XC90. Now at 2k miles it's very annoying. I'm taking it to the dealer to get checked out next week. If it's a recurring issue, I'll upgrade to something like this. What is the cost?

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow! Want. Are the front rotors Girodisk? I think one of the vendors here was working on a front BBK as well but have not heard anything in awhile.
These are StopTech front rotors and the rear are from R1 Concepts. I did work with a StopTech vendor on putting the kit together so if anyone is interested you can PM me.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, that setup really looks great! What are the size of the original front rotors and I’d guess the original calipers are one or two piston?
The stock front rotors on my T6 R-Design are 13.2" which is 335mm... so the StopTech 380mm is a good upgrade and even larger than the PoleStar S60 versions. I did not want to go larger so that there would not be wheel clearance issues with my 20" rims. Not sure on the original calipers but most likely two piston.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow! That looks awesome. I think you somehow also need the "Blue hue" of Polestar on those calipers

Concerning slotted disks: Someone once told me unless you also change the brake pads to suit those disks, you risk having noisy braking with those slotted disks.

Do you know if this is true and if so, what kind of brake pads will you now use to suit those disks?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Well, the silver from StopTech is what is it... I just sanded down the front face and repainted it silver so I could add the PoleStar logo instead of the StopTech one. My other cars have drilled rotors so I am familiar with some noise on brake application but do not think the slotted are that bad. I will find out soon once I have the kit installed. You can opt for the solid rotors from StopTech if you want. The pads are the sport pads StopTech sends out with the kit. Considering the factory Volvo brakes squeal as is I am betting this will be an improvement in the noise category. ;)

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That is great. I was wondering if anyone made a kit. The first thing I noticed about this vehicle is the brakes felt undersized. I felt the vibration of high spots or warped rotors within a few hundred miles on our XC90. Now at 2k miles it's very annoying. I'm taking it to the dealer to get checked out next week. If it's a recurring issue, I'll upgrade to something like this. What is the cost?
I am trying to work out a special deal for us XC90 owners... I am not a vendor so I do not believe I can post pricing but PM me if you want more details. :)

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
By the way, there are many caliper color options and rotor styles from StopTech... I just selected the silver and slotted to match what the PoleStar edition S60 came with.

View attachment 41994

·
Registered
994 Posts
Well, the silver from StopTech is what is it... I just sanded down the front face and repainted it silver so I could add the PoleStar logo instead of the StopTech one. My other cars have drilled rotors so I am familiar with some noise on brake application but do not think the slotted are that bad. I will find out soon once I have the kit installed. You can opt for the solid rotors from StopTech if you want. The pads are the sport pads StopTech sends out with the kit. Considering the factory Volvo brakes squeal as is I am betting this will be an improvement in the noise category. ;)
If you have an R-Design the silver calipers would match well with the mirror covers so I think it coordinates well.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
The stock front rotors on my T6 R-Design are 13.2" which is 335mm... so the StopTech 380mm is a good upgrade and even larger than the PoleStar S60 versions. I did not want to go larger so that there would not be wheel clearance issues with my 20" rims. Not sure on the original calipers but most likely two piston.
Thanks for the response. The larger braking surface should lessen the issue of premature brake wear that most of us are experiencing.

Looking forward to the pics and your thoughts of the upgrade. :beer:

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Those are two companies I wouldn't put together....LOL..
Well, no one else makes custom rotors for an XC90. Besides, I have used R1 Concepts brakes on VW, Audi, and Porsche vehicles with no issues.

·
Registered
277 Posts
You might be surprised. StopTech and Centric are the same company (one bought the other). Centric makes the rotors that both StopTech and R1 use - the blanks are the same. R1 and StopTech then drill and/or slot the blanks.

I've used rotors from both companies without issues for many miles.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
this +100:

spektrum brake aka Zion Automotive aka R1 concept:
https://www.corporationwiki.com/p/2mqlyc/spektrum-brakes-llc

here are some importer records:
https://www.importgenius.com/importers/r1-concepts-dba-zion

Let me see... do I want to run Volvo warrantied products (though a bit smaller in diameter) or do I want to run China products being imported by some Vietnamese folks, running 3 DBAs with a warehouse literally down the street. :facepalm:

·
Registered
277 Posts
So do you have an issue with the quality of the rotors? Or just the fact that they're made in China which is where most aftermarket rotor blanks/rotors are made even for brands like Brembo. Everything below StopTech's top of the line rotor is made in China as well. I can understand an issue with OEM vs. aftermarket in general but not sure what the problem is here. Low tech items like brake rotors are going to be made in lower cost countries like China across the board. And what does the ethnicity of the owners of R1 have to do with anything?

this +100:

spektrum brake aka Zion Automotive aka R1 concept:
https://www.corporationwiki.com/p/2mqlyc/spektrum-brakes-llc

here are some importer records:
https://www.importgenius.com/importers/r1-concepts-dba-zion

Let me see... do I want to run Volvo warrantied products (though a bit smaller in diameter) or do I want to run China products being imported by some Vietnamese folks, running 3 DBAs with a warehouse literally down the street. :facepalm:

1 - 20 of 112 Posts