SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
am thinking of getting a S60 t5 year 2001 with an auto tranny....shld i stay away and is it 100% that the auto box might have issues...what signs shld i look out for if i was to test drive the car?

this is a general question...if the stop neutral function screwed up the box, wld shifting from D to N on any other car while for eg. at traffic lights also screw up the box? shld we just leave it at "D" while stopping for a while?

thanks in advance for the help
cheers

·
Registered
497 Posts
Re: stop neutral poser...2001- S60 t5 automatic (bikz)

I would never shift to neutral in an automatic. It is dangerous to have your car not in gear. I dont know if this car has it, but other cars have fuel injector cut off. That means when you let off the gas, the fuel injectors stop shooting gas in the engine. Idling uses gas, but the fuel injector cut off does not. So it is more fuel efficient to keep the car in D for this example.
Plus, it is extra shifts back and forth for your transmission.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: stop neutral poser...2001- S60 t5 automatic (Tiny)

Quote, originally posted by Tiny »
I would never shift to neutral in an automatic. It is dangerous to have your car not in gear.

well i meant having it in N when the car is not moving and having the handbrakes on or the brakes pedals pressed...lets say while stopping in for someone or waiting for the lights to turn green...cheers

·
Registered
85 Posts

I have a 2001 S60 T5 i just bought a month ago with the stop neutral feature still in it. Best thing to do is just go to the dealer, Spend the $200 (thats what it costs by me) and they will update your TCM so it doesnt go into neutral when your at a stop.

·
Registered
11,628 Posts

Quote, originally posted by bikz »
am thinking of getting a S60 t5 year 2001 with an auto tranny....shld i stay away and is it 100% that the auto box might have issues...what signs shld i look out for if i was to test drive the car?

this is a general question...if the stop neutral function screwed up the box, wld shifting from D to N on any other car while for eg. at traffic lights also screw up the box? shld we just leave it at "D" while stopping for a while?

thanks in advance for the help
cheers

1) Most '01 trannys have issues. Not to say all of them do but enough to think twice when buying a used car. I would personally look elsewhere.

2) If you are stopped for a long while yes shifting into N will be better for the tranny (less heat build up). But on a daily basis I would not recommend doing it. You will end up putting more wear and tear on the tranny (just like Neutral Control did). Then there is the safety issue of not having a car in gear to avoid danger.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

That is an INCORRECT way to drive, get this thinking out of your mind.
LEAVE IT IN GEAR

·
Registered
497 Posts

well i meant having it in N when the car is not moving and having the handbrakes on or the brakes pedals pressed...lets say while stopping in for someone or waiting for the lights to turn green...cheers

I understand what you meant. It is dangerous to do this. It also adds unnecesary strain to your transmission.
You should go to the dealer and get the neutral stop switch deactivated. Always leave you car in Drive http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok thanks guys..."D" it will be in...however wont there be unnecessary heat generated? or does the other amount of wear and tear from changing it fr "D' to "N" outweigh the heat buildup ?

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Re: (bikz)

ok thanks guys..."D" it will be in...however wont there be unnecessary heat generated? or does the other amount of wear and tear from changing it fr "D' to "N" outweigh the heat buildup ?

Huh, no extra heat leaving it in D for normal driving (under very long periods at a stop, yes N would be better). The car was designed to be in D while driving, and not to be placed into N when at a stop, its an automatic not a manual.

The pure safety issue alone should be enough for you to leave it in D.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts