SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just throwing around some ideas, looking for opinions about lowering my car with elevate springs, keeping oem 17" serapis wheels and throwing a set of 15mm spacers on the rear to fill out the wheel wells.?

Would the car look silly lowered on 17's?

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I think it would look just fine with stocks on but would always look better with some aftermarkets wheels.

·
Registered
709 Posts
My car lowered on 17"... ok not the S40 OEM wheels but S70R ones with spacers. Effect should be the same:

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I have heard about wheel spacers destroying wheel bearings over time in "lighter weight" cars (honda's etc). So with regards to the spacer question, are the wheel bearings in this car fairly strong?

·
Registered
709 Posts
mine has spacers for the last 60.000km (38k miles) and no issues. Also i do some trackdays with it.

·
Super Moderator
15,145 Posts
Elevate Springs with 17" Sagittas, no spacers

As you can see, spacers on the rears would be nice, but not necessary. It still looks fine from most angles.

Go for it!

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Spacers with the Serapis would look fine. Idk how wide spacers you would need for a nice look.

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk while on the toilet.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My car lowered on 17"... ok not the S40 OEM wheels but S70R ones with spacers. Effect should be the same:

This is the look I'm going for. Wheels flush with the fenders. Definitely need spacers. I've read 10mm front and 15mm rear. Anyone confirm this? Can anyone chime in on the best spacers? I've seen ones that use your existing studs (that bold on and have their own studs) and ones that you need to install longer studs.
Anyone?

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
The front is easy to get flush but the rear is much harder. The spacers aren't going to be the same if you use some in the front and rear.
Plus the rear fenders are going to need some serious rolling because it will be in the way by the time you have the wheels/tires flush in the rear.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The front is easy to get flush but the rear is much harder. The spacers aren't going to be the same if you use some in the front and rear.
Plus the rear fenders are going to need some serious rolling because it will be in the way by the time you have the wheels/tires flush in the rear.
Just on Springs? with 17's? I didnt think the fenders would need any work, unless you were on coilovers with like... 19's

·
Registered
709 Posts
Bgrob58271,

replying to your PM and since it is useful information I'll post it here:

The pictures where taken by crossie on the Stuttgart Volvo meet last weekend, here's the most "front" one I have:

I have longer wheel studs and custom built spacers.
The wheel studs are 20mm longer and I've installed them back in 07'
Also, I had the spacers made with 17mm, hub centric for 63.3mm. I've used mostly with the 18x7.5 Volvo Medea wheels. By pure luck it also works great with these Comet C wheels (17x7,5), just had to add an aluminum hub centric ring that converted 65.1mm to 63.3mm --> Also custom made

You should measure and have the spacers made depending on the wheel you are going to fit, taking into account the offset (ET) and wheel width.

Also, I have both my front and rear wheel fenders rolled. I've used the C30 rear wheel arch liners and modified the front ones to fit properly.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Just on Springs? with 17's? I didnt think the fenders would need any work, unless you were on coilovers with like... 19's
Well, 17s vs. 19s have very little to do with that since you are likely to keep the same tire perimeter ratio. Wheel offset (or spacers) and tire width are what counts here.
Yes the springs won't come down as low as coil-over so you won't get constant rubbing but with any lowering you are still likely to get the tire touching the fender on many rough pavement.
If you're not worried about that than fine but otherwise it's going to happen.
You can eliminate a lot of that if you go with very stretched tires but I personally don't want to over-do that.

I have H&R springs (about 1.4" drop) and with my 18x8 wheels and its 45mm offset, mounted on 225x40 tires, I hit the fender, and it's not even fully flush in the rear...

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I have 18 x8 TDR's with 235/40/18's w/ 5mm spacers in front and 15mm H&R spacers in back, a cheap man's staggered. The front is flush, the rear is a little proud of fender. I am lowered on KW V2, one finger gap in front, 2 finger gap in back( my exhaust was hitting driveway at an even stance) I also had to raise the back because with 4 people in the car I was rubbing on the fender liner.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hmmmm..... having second thoughts now.

I'm working on some photoshops of my car to see what it would look like lowered.
ill try to post those later,
In the meantime, I live on a country dirt road. The highway department puts down heavy gravel every couple months. Is going lower a bad idea?

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I am 17" stock Thors lowered with spacers and it looks great. 15/20mm

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, 17s vs. 19s have very little to do with that since you are likely to keep the same tire perimeter ratio. Wheel offset (or spacers) and tire width are what counts here.
Yes the springs won't come down as low as coil-over so you won't get constant rubbing but with any lowering you are still likely to get the tire touching the fender on many rough pavement.
If you're not worried about that than fine but otherwise it's going to happen.
You can eliminate a lot of that if you go with very stretched tires but I personally don't want to over-do that.

I have H&R springs (about 1.4" drop) and with my 18x8 wheels and its 45mm offset, mounted on 225x40 tires, I hit the fender, and it's not even fully flush in the rear...

by the way, car looks awesome.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
hmmmm..... having second thoughts now.

I'm working on some photoshops of my car to see what it would look like lowered.
ill try to post those later,
In the meantime, I live on a country dirt road. The highway department puts down heavy gravel every couple months. Is going lower a bad idea?

Seeing the car would be nice... (edit: I posted after you showed pics :p)
Don't give up too quickly. If that's the look you want than try to take the time to do it properly.
I have not done it yet but from what I understand rolling the fender isn't that big of a deal. The hard part really is probably to either find a good place that can do it, or find a place that can rent you the tool.

From reading at your last post to be honest what I'd be more concerned is your gravel situation. Pulling the wheels outward will obviously expose more of the tires. You will definitely get more gravel impact flying from your tires to the side of your car! If you have the sport trim (I don't know if you do) you will be better but not perfect.
Since I got my setup (18x8 et 45 with sticky summer tires) I can hear a lot more gravel impact as I start driving on the road in the morning.

Some have installed mud flaps. That would definitely help with gravels especially with the front wheels. I personally don't care for those but that's not to say you won't like it. But it will help for sure preventing over abuse of gravel on your care side door panels...

So in short, don't give up but take your time to plan what you want to do so you can approach the best setup to satisfy both your taste and road/driving conditions . . . ;)

Oh! and thx about my car :p it's been a long built but getting better every time.
more pics on my sig.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts