SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed the boost gauge this afternoon (wiring not fully sorted) and took a couple of run later on.

First run at 92F ambient, max boost was about 1 bar

Second run this evening at 63F ambient, max boost was more than 1.1bar

What is the actual max boost on stock car? I thought it is 1.0bar

BTW anybody have a good idea where to tap for "ignition on" and "light on" in the left dashboard area (for the boost gauge wiring)

Thanks,
Awdnut

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
Re: Stock max boost (awdnut)

Everything I've heard says about 14.7 PSI stock boost (1 bar). Not sure though.

Gauge looks great, what type and where did you get it? Also, how did you install it? Please explain, I'd love to do one myself.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Stock max boost (KMK454)

Its a Defi BF gauge. Nice thing is that you can set the max boost warning, recall peak boost and record a run.

I cannot find a hole to get the wire from the engine thru the firewall so ended running the wire from the side coming thru the left front door wiring below the a-pillar.

I still need to find a ignition on source and a light on source though.

Awdnut

·
Registered
5,924 Posts

So is it a wiring thing for the boost reading, or do you have to run a hose or something into the engine bay? I'm guessing you ran the sensor through the fuse opening on the driver side door into wherever it had to go then...?

·
Registered
18,762 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Stock max boost (JimLill)

Jim:

Initially I set the warning boost level to 1.05bar (since I thought the max boost was 1bar). During the second run (at lower ambient), I was WOT on 3rd and 4th, and on both cases the boost warning light and buzzer on the Defi gauge was on all the time which seem to indicate that all during WOT, the boost was more than 1.05bar (warning level) that I set earlier.

I am currently resetting the warning level on Defi to 1.15bar.

R Kelly:

That install on the center headliner location is sweet but harder too see during driving though

·
Registered
5,852 Posts

On my 2004 I used the 12V outlet as a power source, it's switched. As for a "lights on" source, run a wire to a rear tail light.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Stock max boost (Our R)

Thanks, Lee

I'll try the 12V outlet.

The light on output is not that important since it is only used for dimming by the Defi gauge.
Can't use the rear light output since the parking light on our car is always on AFAIK. I might have to set-up a relay that is triggered by the DRL so that if the DRL is off the relay will give a 12V output and vice versa.

TurboR850:

Like I said earlier, I was looking at the gauge during WOT and did not notice the spike/overboost condition. It was staying at 1.1bar during the WOT at 3rd and 4th gear

Modified by awdnut at 4:49 PM 5-22-2005

·
Registered
1,450 Posts

Quote, originally posted by awdnut »
Thanks, Lee

I'll try the 12V outlet.

The light on output is not that important since it is only used for dimming by the Defi gauge.

TurboR850:

Like I said earlier, I was looking at the gauge during WOT and did not notice the spike/overboost condition. It was staying at 1.1bar during the WOT at 3rd and 4th gear

on my dakota digital gauge, i see spikes up to about 16PSI or 1.10 BAR that level off to 14.5 PSI (stock ecu programming)
with tuning loaded, i see spikes to 1.5 BAR with sustained at about 1.35 BAR

it depends on how fast your gauge reacts.

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
Re: Stock max boost (SilverS60RNYC)

Sorry for more questions, but how much did the setup cost? And what exactly did you buy, and where from? I'd really like to do one for diagnostic purposes, and your setup looks very cool. I like the positioning, and the gauge looks nice.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: Stock max boost (KMK454)

Kurt:

The Defi gauge cost me $100 for the control unit and $205 for the boost gauge. For the boost sensor, I tapped the rubber line between the intake manifold to the waste gate actuator. The sensor itself is located next to the fuse box in the engine compartment.

If your diagnostic need do not mind not having the peak, warn mode and recording you can get just a mechanical boost gauge. There are also more economical electronic boost gauges made by Apex, Greddy or Blitz etc.

I like the Defi BF since I might later on add the EGT (exhaust temp) gauge to the control unit

HTH,
Awdnut

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts

Quote, originally posted by awdnut »
I tapped the rubber line between the intake manifold to the waste gate actuator.

The place you tapped is actually the intake to CBV hose.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.