SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

So is the flexi mesh bit on the downpipe supposed to be really loose and move around easily. Like my whole exhaust kinda rattles and I dont think its normal. I know on my v8's it doesnt mve around. I was just wondering if anyone has plated around with thiers and can tell me what its like so i can compare.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
The mesh is there for that I believe to allow movement of the engine or of the exhaust somewhat independently so things don't rattle because they are too tie together. More likely, it is designed so the engine movement does not overly affect the exhaust position while the engine moves (and it can move quite a bit). The exhaust is actually fully suspended so it is normal that it vibrates. However you should not feel or hear it while you drive. If you do there could be couple of reasons that can easily be checked:

- 1. One of the rubber attachment either came loose from its hanger or is broken. I can't recall how many there are exactly. I think one near the turbo, one by the cat, two around the rear axle and two by the muffler on each side. I could be missing some.

- 2. Section of you exhaust may be loose or broken, bolts at the turbo, at the tips, broken/rusted pipe section (stock exhaust is welded from front to end so there shouldn't be any bolted connection in between). However if that was the case it is likely you would hear your exhaust much louder.

- 3. One of the hanger bar may have been bent if you hit something or rusted but I doubt it. This could make the exhaust bang on something it should not along its path.

The easiest at first is to move the exhaust by hand. When the exhaust is completely cool to the touch try to move the exhaust from the exhaust tips end freely. See if you hear anything unusual. Again it's suspended so it should be allowed to move quite a bit but should feel solidly hang and come back to its position when you let go.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts