SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I still don't have functioning cruise control. I've posted about this a few times but I'm still trying to find the problem. My car is a 2001 V70 T5M and the cruise control hasn't worked since I bought it about 14,000 miles ago. There are no messages or faults showing. I couldn't get the cruise indicator to light up on the dash when I pushed the button so I pulled the brake pedal sensor apart. If the soldered connections were together when I started, they broke while I was taking it apart but I resoldered everything and put it back in and still had nothing. Then I noticed that the cruise indicator would light up if I pushed the button as soon as I started the car but would go off soon afterward. I checked for codes using my autocom cdp+ and found a clutch switch permanent failure code. A check of that switch showed it to be way out of range so I installed a new one and cleared the codes. Now when I push the cruise button the indicator turns on and stays on, but I can't set it. When I push the button on the wheel while moving, nothing happens, I checked for any new codes but none are showing.

I'm not sure of the process the car goes through for setting the cruise. Is there another sensor involved that I need to test or replace?

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Strange, the two sensors I know of that can affect cruise are the clutch switch and brake position switch. If you messed with the brake position switch and soldered on it, and still have a failure even without a code I'd replace it even with a used junkyard unit just to be sure it's not that.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Without Dice/Vida it's hard to say but a low level ETM fault may stop the cruise function especially if you haven't got updated firmware (post 2006)

The benefit of a Vida/Dice is that it digs a little deeper and may sense a faulty brake switch even though your soldering should have sorted it. Sometimes the track on the brake switch board has a small break. You can test it along it's range with a ohm meter but easier just to swap it out first then move to the ETM and have the car Vida scanned.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
I would guess clutch or brake pedal sensors first, especially if those were disturbed. Without more in depth software to diagnose, you are pretty much swapping parts at this point. The cruise control buttons could be sticking and shorting out (the + or - ones), or as the previous poster mentioned, it could be the throttle body.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know Vida/Dice is crucial for thorough diagnosis of these cars, but I have been pretty impressed with what the autocom can find and can adjust. Among other things, it resets the transmission for cars with an auto, and can access all the door, upper, central, rear, dash, audio, and steering wheel modules. I'll check the ETM with it, but I haven't found any codes. There was a receipt in the paperwork I got from the PO showing that the ETM was replaced under warranty at some point along the way but it may still have some issues. I'll dig into the wheel controls and see if something is wrong there.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can set it up to read different sensors. I just scanned it again and found a CEM 1D02 code.

·
Registered
120 Posts
That code may be pointing to the root cause as it's a CEM control module software issue. It can come as either as a permanent or intermittent fault. If it's permanent it could cause the cruise control fault. A CEM reload may fix the fault.

However if it's a intermittent fault it's unlikely to cause the cruise problem and you should keep on looking.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The fault was listed as permanent, so maybe it's the software. Is a CEM reload a dealer only affair or is this something that can successfully be accomplished using vida/dice?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pretty much what I figured. On a 15 year old car with 176,000 miles on it, not sure how much I'm willing to spend to get the cruise control working. I'll check with one of the indy's near me and see what they would charge.

Thanks for all the replies.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Can you check ETM software versions x 2 and ECM software versions x 2 ?

If you can post them here we can tell you if they're a compatible match.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, I'm not quite sure how to get the software versions out of the CEM and ETM with the autocomm. The unit allows you to connect to the various modules and access what are called Data Lists. When I connect to the CEM within the Multifunction section, I get Diagnosis Software 08633877 A and Hardware 0009452596 A, then on the next data list I get 4 software numbers: 0008633679 A, 0008645537 B, 0008645501 B, and 0008645203 A. Then under the Engine section, I came up with the following: Diagnosis Software 30785376 AB, Hardware 0008627455 A, then 2 softwares: 0008627486 A and 0030788303 AA. Not sure if any of these numbers mean anything but That's what I could find.

I was also able to find in the data lists within the Engine section both the Cruise + and Cruise - buttons and I confirmed that the value changed when I pushed the buttons. It also can read the clutch position switch value which showed 65% with the pedal fully out and the ignition on, but the engine not running. That seems a little odd to me. This unit is actually pretty impressive for something fairly generic. It can also read the turbo boost, TCV function, variable cam positions, etc.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Pedal position can explain why cruise is not working. It shows as if pedal is pressed so cruise is disabled

·
Registered
120 Posts
I would have thought closer to 0% reporting of a non depressed clutch should be normal but who knows on this sustem. We may need some data from a Vida weilding P2 ETM manual owner.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Clutch pedal position

Measurement range 0-100 %.

The engine control module (ECM) calculates the value from the clutch pedal sensor signal.

The value indicates the clutch pedal position.

When the clutch pedal released the value is 60-70 %. The value decreases as the clutch pedal is depressed.

Clutch position sensor

The engine control module (ECM) calculates the value from the clutch pedal sensor signal.

The value indicates how the engine control module (ECM) interprets the clutch pedal position.

Active = clutch pedal depressed.

Not active = clutch pedal released.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts