SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I have been having trouble getting my GT out of Park. There is nothing wrong with the transmission, everything is working as it should but I think the lever that allows the shifter to move is failing. I have to push down slightly while pressing the lever to get it out of Park. Anyone else ever experience this? If so, is it an expensive repair or something I could do myself? :confused:
Thank you!

·
Registered
2005 V70R, Midnight Blue, M66
2,124 Posts
I suspect this is something going on with the shift solenoid inside the console. It's function is to not allow the shift lever to be removed from PARK, unless the brake is applied.

It could just be some worn bushings or the solenoid is just sluggish due to dirt etc. Only way to find out is to get inside console and take a look.

DISCLAIMER: I don't have a GT so I am basing this strictly on my assumption of how Volvo implemented shift lock.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Bump.

Had this same problem tonight. '06 SR GT. I can hear the shift solenoid unlock it when I step on the brake pedal but it still wont shift out of park. Finally got it into drive after turning it off, locking/unlocking the car and trying again.

Anyone find a fix to this?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Bump.

Had this same problem tonight. '06 SR GT. I can hear the shift solenoid unlock it when I step on the brake pedal but it still wont shift out of park. Finally got it into drive after turning it off, locking/unlocking the car and trying again.

Anyone find a fix to this?
This might not be any help for these cars, but if I recall correctly, the autobox 9-5's solenoid would try to unlock, but wouldn't actually retract far enough when they were failing. Could be a hint, I suppose.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts