SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone, First I like to thank every member on here that has helped me through all my questions and concerns, this forum is the best by far and im a member on many forums. The community here is very helpful and I dont have those arrogant responses on this forum.

I have decided to finally build my s40 t5. Its an 05, Awd M66.

I just landed my first job out of school and will be starting in a few weeks, I will be posting alot of pictures to the build but this build is not all happening now. It will be a slower build but I will review each step I take for those of you that are interested in performance for our cars.

After talking to many people, The decision is to use the Gt3071r turbo, the reason behind this is that I want to have a broader range then the k16. I do plan on building the block but not for some time.

But for now I am looking for a cheap commuter car any thoughts or help appreciated looking in the range of less than $5,000 , im located in central PA :)

Current Performance Mods:
-Injen intake
-Samco Inlet

Heres a picture of when after I picked it up

Heres now

·
Super Moderator
15,185 Posts
Before the turbo...

For cosmetic:

Do a full LED conversion, you can do that for around $60 with Amazon prices.
What wheels do you have now? You may want to upgrade those to something off of classifieds until you can afford what you really really want.
You may also want to mess around with debadging, spacing out the letters, painting the letters, etc.
Do you have a body kit? Spoiler? Aftermarket lip?

Handling is a plus before a turbo upgrade:

I would lower it just a bit, especially if you're AWD.
adjustable rear camber arms if you go really low in the back
Strut brace
front/rear sway bars

Keep an eye on classifieds for good deals. I got my springs for $40, camber arms off amazon for $120 new, and strut brace for $80.

Can't wait to follow your build!

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Congratz on landing the job! Handling, and brakes before serious HP.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
of course im doing brakes and suspension mods with it. But first im set on a fmic. stock wheels for now, just got new tires so im waiting on that. these will be my winter wheels in the future

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was going to keep the cbv

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
commuter car = craigslist or tristatetuners forum
congrats on the job!
i work in the Landsdale area so i will def like to see the s40 once the GT is in.

·
Registered
9,120 Posts
I was going to keep the cbv
Using the the GT30 setup I assume you will run the ATP kit which doesn't use a factory style recirc valve. Rather it's an external in which they recirculate into the intake system prior to the MAF which is optimal. Just wanted to make sure you were aware.

If you are in need or an intercooler hit me up. I have an extra custom one that I will be sitting on and won't have a need since my project won't be starting for some time now haha.

Glad ur looking into a commuter. Did the exact same thing and will pay off in the end :thumbup:

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hmm depends on the price for that fmic...

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
In my opinion it's a lot more rewarding to work on the performance mods first... The way I look at it is that there will never be enough people out there that will appreciate what you will do to your car on the exterior. There are many great cars on the road, new ones all the times, many respected luxury ones too, and only a fraction of people who will actually notice what you would do so spend your money first on what makes you feel good.
That's how I did it and I don't regret it a bit. My only regret actually is not have put more money sooner rather than put it anyway later. I could have enjoyed the mods for a longer time :p

FMIC is a great choice! That remains one of my all time favs... but I had a tune and DP when I did it so I could appreciate it right away :D
Yeah Brake and suspension is a good approach too but that depends of what/where/how you drive. It's also pricey imo.
Keep the appearance stuff for later as goodies, the cherry on the cake that will make you feel good about what you've accomplished.

Anyway, just my opinion for what it's worth ;)
Good luck and post your progress as slow or as fast as you get it done.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

My first mod was the samco pipe with just a cone filter on the stock intake. I did notice a difference in throttle response and get up. The sound was really nice too, and then i bought the injen intake.
I raced (legally) on a track, my brothers genesis 3.8 when he had just a cold air intake (that car is fast) we did 25mph-80mph and it was close up to around 70 then he started getting me. this is just when i had the samco pipe and running 93 oct.

The injen intake made a little difference as well, and the sound is amazing.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ps I did clean the engine bay after this photo lol

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Not saying that it can't be done, but this is definitely going to be a challenging project for you...financially and just in general. Especially because of the AWD. The K16 works very well because it is very close to K-04 dimensions and is already integrated into the exhaust manifold like the K-04 as well...therefore is basically a bolt-on application. My guess is that you will need to get a crazy tubular manifold fabricated in order to mount that Garrett...I'd imagine you would even need to relocate the turbo. You're going to be looking at mega bucks for that...not to mention you will need to get all supporting mods as well (full 3" exhaust, injectors, intercooler, clutch, flywheel, custom tune, etc.). I'd say you're probably looking at upwards to $10,000. I'd love to see the end result though :)

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Solid decision! GLHF!

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
GL with GT30 build, not saying it can't be done, it has. But it's a lot more complicated and expensive. K16 is easier and less expensive way to go. Miles are on the high side on your car, 110K, but at least you know it's history, since it was your Dad's car. Nice Dad, tomorrow is Father's day, thank him again for giving you the car.
Why reinvent the wheel, RICA has software for GT30, but won't support bigger injectors and their software holds boost at 12psi. K16 support is already available from either MTE or Autotech, both support bigger injectors and they are working on other support, cams, etc. Support will be there for a K16, not so much for a GT30. Custom tuning will eventually be available for the ME-9
right now that's not an option.
I know you just graduated from school and got your first job, great! Take baby steps.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Im almost set on which intercooler to get, now I just need some ideas for an exhaust. any vids? i was looking at the eurosport exhaust but i want it to go on sale again

·
Registered
9,120 Posts
I would go 3" turbo back based on what HP goals I can imagine you are going to shoot for. That GT is going to need to breathe as freely as possible.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
of course, thats why i was looking at the eurosport but might wait until its on sale again

1 - 20 of 74 Posts