SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 S40... I want to make minimal modifications to the car, but want to maximize sound quality and use my iPhone. I want to keep the waterfall stereo as it is. What are my integration options? I don’t want some kind of cheap kit because they all end up with SQ issues. Can I tap into the wiring harness somehow and somehow connect to a line-in? Seems like there are few options. Has anyone made a change like this, and if so, how did it work?

·
Registered
2007 Volvo V50 T5 AWD M66
514 Posts
Grom audio. That's all you have pretty much. These cars use fiber-optic audio so there really isn't much you can do besides that.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Which system do you have? If you have the Premium Sound system then you can also use the Denison Gateway 500. I had one in my previous V50 that had Premium sound and the SQ was very good. Unfortunately I can't use it in my present V50 since it only has the Performance sound system.

·
Registered
634 Posts
What if you just added external amplifiers and had a switch between a direct-to-amp line input and the signal from the head unit? You would lose volume control for the line in, but you could add a knob, or you could use iPod volume control.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
An aftermarket amplifier will not work with the factory headunit (ICM) because the connection between the ICM and the factory trunk mounted amp is MOST Bus (fiber optic).

You could install a separate system that parallels the factory system where the aftermarket receiver/amp also connects to the same speakers as the factory system. Either amplifier's output impedance should be high enough that it does not load the other amplifier. Could use something like one of those SMSL Class-T amplifiers (or other Class-T amp) that have line level input and a volume control. They are not designed as a car amp perse, but they are very small and typically powered by a 12-15V. Some have bluetooth and/or DAC's. I had gotten my son one several years ago for his desktop stereo and, being a bit of an audiophile, I can say it sounds far better than I thought it would. The build quality is good and the use very good quality components. I did find that the higher powered ones tended to sound a little grainy but that was years ago and they may have improved.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SMSL-SA-36...:awcAAOSwWAhb6exo:sc:USPSPriority!21043!US!-1

·
Registered
634 Posts
I do not believe that my 2006 S40 (base audio) has a trunk-mounted amp. I've looked for it and I found the studs to mount it on, but no amp.

·
Registered
XC70 2.5T, V50T5 AWD M6
538 Posts
The procedure for DIY line-in is detailed here, it's probably the most cost-efficient way to do it providing that you have some spare time to tinker with the audio system.

However, if sound quality is of any concern, I warmly recommend scrapping the OEM speakers and replacing them with something decent. Especially the base audio is absolutely horrid, premium is tolerable but only barely.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Yes, the base and Performance sound system speakers are total crap. I would have been ticked if I paid $30K for a car in 2005 that has such garbage speakers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
2006 S40... I want to make minimal modifications to the car, but want to maximize sound quality and use my iPhone. I want to keep the waterfall stereo as it is. What are my integration options? I don’t want some kind of cheap kit because they all end up with SQ issues. Can I tap into the wiring harness somehow and somehow connect to a line-in? Seems like there are few options. Has anyone made a change like this, and if so, how did it work?
https://rocketcarparts.com/best-3000-watt-amp/
Hi!

Would you consider swaping stock HU with an aftermarket one with a bluetooth option?
Or maybe use stock HU and AUX.

In both cases, you would need better speakers, and maybe a good amp.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,743 Posts
I'd be careful with the Bluepower stuff. They look great. They sound pretty good.

But they're sorta funky. This is coming from my experience with the head units for the P2.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Funky how? It seems they may have reliability issues.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts