SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that when it's hot out, right after turning the car on the stereo will intermittently stop working, and very shortly thereafter, it'll stop working altogether. The head unit still receives power, but it goes completely blank and none of the radio related buttons work (climate control and settings do though). From what I can tell, the wiring seems fine.

At night when it's cooler, the stereo works fine. It'll get through a 20 minute drive.

This all makes me think that one of the stereo components is overheating.

Any idea which part would be the most likely to overheat?

05 V50 w/ premium sound. All stock stereo components save for the waterfall console that is from an 09 V50.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I know a few times when I have taken the waterfall apart, after running the premium sound system hard for a long drive, the ICM and CD changer are piping hot. Maybe yours is getting hotter because of where you live?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
IDK with Volvo, but I know when I worked at Ford some folks had similar issues and it was a clogged cabin air filter. When it's clogged air also doesn't get to the stereo components. Again, could be totally different, just adding for consideration.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
IDK with Volvo, but I know when I worked at Ford some folks had similar issues and it was a clogged cabin air filter. When it's clogged air also doesn't get to the stereo components. Again, could be totally different, just adding for consideration.
I could see this being it. I have recently replaced my air filter but the air ducts I believe do pass close to the radio (potentially for cooling).

The premium sound definitely gets hot, it is a fair size amp for a stock stereo in a car, and the heat has to go somewhere. Which is interesting that there aren’t any heat sinks or anything (but the AC unit might blow cool air over it, not sure).

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
??? All the external amp (AUD) systems have heat fins and are bolted to the frame to also conduct heat. The ICM does also have a heat sink (on the back side, hunk of metal in the middle). The CD players also have heat sinks with fins (though small).

V50toS40: are you using the ICM from the 2005 system or from the 2009 system? I've had trouble getting a 2007+ ICM to work in my 2005. Also, there is a TNN 3948 for the audio system freezing up. I had that happen repeatedly on my previous V50 that had Premium Sound. There is a software update for the ICM and AUD that fixed it.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know a few times when I have taken the waterfall apart, after running the premium sound system hard for a long drive, the ICM and CD changer are piping hot. Maybe yours is getting hotter because of where you live?

Yeah this was sorta what I was thinking.

That's great advice. Thank you.

I haven't replaced the cabin filter yet under my ownership and have no idea when/if the POs did.

??? All the external amp (AUD) systems have heat fins and are bolted to the frame to also conduct heat. The ICM does also have a heat sink (on the back side, hunk of metal in the middle). The CD players also have heat sinks with fins (though small).

V50toS40: are you using the ICM from the 2005 system or from the 2009 system? I've had trouble getting a 2007+ ICM to work in my 2005. Also, there is a TNN 3948 for the audio system freezing up. I had that happen repeatedly on my previous V50 that had Premium Sound. There is a software update for the ICM and AUD that fixed it.
Haha you're AutoNaut?

https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s40-11/radio-freeze-fixed-i-hope-42027/

No I'm using the original ICM. That's good to know about TNN 3948, but it sounds like we had slightly different issues. At this point, I think I'll start with replacing the cabin filter. I'm speaking with Michael about buying the CD changer and ICM from his V50 JIC.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Since you replaced the console and had all the components out and back in, make sure all the fiber optic cables are well connected.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts