SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am debating purchasing one of these packages mostly for wheel repair as I live in Chicago. Curb rash and potholes are a given. Both of these packages offer cosmetic wheel repair but it looks like the Appearance Package does not cover road hazards. Is that right? If so, the tire/wheel package seems like a better purchase.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The difference can be tricky;

The Tire/Wheel Premium Plan covers curb rash damage DURING THE EVENT OF A ROADHAZARD only. Basically, if you smash a pot hole and get a flat tire, and the rim gets slightly damaged during that pothole incident, the rim will be repaired. If you simply hit a curb, and the rim and tire are holding air properly, the cosmetic repair claim will be denied. If the rim is bent or broke, you’ll get a brand new, Volvo Factory Wheel at no charge. One use of a new rim will pay for the plan for sure. Go with 60 months, even if you don’t need the extra time, since the difference in price is so minimal.

The Appearance Plan w/ wheel repair coverage will cover CURB RASH DAMAGE, regardless of how it happened, but obviously leaves out tire/wheel replacement. To be fully covered, purchase both plans, the DELUXE (you won’t need the Premium plan for cosmetic coverage since you’ll get it in the second plan) Tire/Wheel Protection, and Appearance Plan w/ Unlimited wheel repair. Obviously it’s a bit more expensive to purchase both, but you’ll be fully protected this way. I went with both and have already used both plans effectively. These are also pro-rated and transferable. And you’ll grab two gifts while your at it. Place the order online separately, so you can use the $100 Swedespeed promo code twice.
Thanks for the info. I read it somewhat differently for Tire/Wheel Premium Package. See this link https://p.widencdn.net/qn7z9h/R8356 - It appears to indicate that curb damage (if cosmetic) will be fixed.

The appearance package states road hazard damage is not protected. https://pictures.dealer.com/steingoldvolvovcna/5fae6eea0a0e0ca2068a6efdf52c1c62.pdf

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Verbiage from Tire/Wheel Protection: (focus on #3)

EXCLUSIONS FROM COVERAGE: THIS SERVICE CONTRACT WILL NOT PAY OR REIMBURSE YOU FOR:

1. COSMETICALLY DAMAGED TIRES, DAMAGE TO TIRES OR WHEELS, INCURRED WHILE DRIVING OFF-ROAD OR DUE TO A COLLISION WITH ANOTHER VEHICLE;

2. COSMETICALLY DAMAGED WHEELS (UNLESS PREMIUM COVERAGE ON THE FRONT OF THIS SERVICE CONTRACT WAS SELECTED);

3. TIRE OR WHEEL DAMAGE NOT RESULTING FROM A ROAD HAZARD, SUCH AS A COLLISION WITH A CURB, PARKING BLOCK/STONE OR ANOTHER VEHICLE;

4. TIRE OR WHEEL DAMAGE CAUSED BY ACCIDENTS, COLLISION, UPSET DAMAGE, THEFT, LARCENY, MALICIOUS MISCHIEF, VANDALISM, CIVIL COMMOTION, RIOTS, WARS;
#9 is what confused me:

TIRES OR WHEELS DAMAGED AS A RESULT OF DEFECTS, COLLISION WITH A CURB (UNLESS DAMAGE IS COSMETIC AND PREMIUM COVERAGE ON THE FRONT OF THIS SERVICE CONTRACT WAS SELECTED), OR ABNORMAL WEAR AND TEAR, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGE, WHEEL ALIGNMENT, TIRE ROTATION, ATTACHING HARDWARE, WHEEL COVERS, “SPACE SAVER” STYLE SPARE TIRE OR TIRE DISPOSAL FEE;

·
Registered
415 Posts
email Mike @ steingold..he will provide the concrete answer

·
Registered
417 Posts
I actually had this discussion with Mike at Steingold and when I pointed out the potential confusion/contradiction he said he 'hadn't noticed that before'. I came away thinking that if cosmetic damage is associated with hitting a road hazard (pothole) then it's covered and that since all my damage will be associated with a pothole then I was OK..

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I actually had this discussion with Mike at Steingold and when I pointed out the potential confusion/contradiction he said he 'hadn't noticed that before'. I came away thinking that if cosmetic damage is associated with hitting a road hazard (pothole) then it's covered and that since all my damage will be associated with a pothole then I was OK..

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
So he did not have a concrete answer regarding curb damage? I plan to call him today

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just chatted with him, (super nice) and he said he’s had multiple calls about that confusion in the contract. He called about the coverage a few weeks back and was reassured by the administrator that the Tire/Wheel Protection Premium WILL FOR SURE cover cosmetic damage from just a curb, and not only during a roadhazard. The contract terms are very confusing, and they are working on corrections.

Your good to go with just Tire/Wheel Protection Premium!
That is fantastic and now I don't have to bother him!

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have a 2017 with 16,700 miles, can I still add this? Is the number of months from the in service date or date of purchase?

What if you have existing damage? Do you need to provide pictures or get an inspection before the vehicle is covered?

Just curious, also what does curb rash generally cost to repair? Trying to figure out if this is worth it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have a 2017 with 16,700 miles, can I still add this? Is the number of months from the in service date or date of purchase?

What if you have existing damage? Do you need to provide pictures or get an inspection before the vehicle is covered?

Just curious, also what does curb rash generally cost to repair? Trying to figure out if this is worth it.
Yup, you can add it at any time. No photos will be necessary to provide, But I’m sure if you submit a claim shortly after the plan is purchased it will throw a red flag. I’m sure they can tell The difference between fresh damage and older damage also.

The years will begin on the day you purchase a plan so 60 months will start today. Seems like a great idea to purchase.
Very helpful - thank you.

Any idea what road rash typically costs to fix? I am going to assume 2 rims per year most likely so just curious how the math works out.

·
Registered
62 Posts
"so you can use the $100 Swedespeed promo code twice."

Sorry to drop in here - Is this still a thing? First I have seen of it and I'm in the market currently.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Does anyone have a link to where you go to buy this plan? Also, is there a list somewhere that shows what local dealerships I would be able to take the vehicle to? Thanks!

·
Registered
674 Posts
https://squareup.com/store/steingold-volvo-cars/

And you can take the car to any Volvo dealership in the United States of America
The VIP Plans can be used at any Volvo retailer nationwide. There is no list, rather just every dealer in the country.
Thanks, guys! I think I'm going to purchase the 60 month Appearance Protection Plan with the "unlimited cosmetic wheel repair" option. Is there a swedespeed discount code that I can use for this?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts