SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am tired of the steering wheel in my V70, it needs an update. currently i have a 4 spoke with the controls mounted on the airbag. i am currently looking at a 2007 S60R steering wheel and airbag, my question is, how much trouble am i looking at. is the 05+ electronics completely different? is the airbag wiring different? or can i simply grab switches and internals from an 01-04 wheel and still use the 05+ airbag?

in short.... are the physical airbags between 04- 07 the same? jus the harness for the wheels are different?

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
I have! :facepalm:
A customer wanted a 3 spoke wood wheel on an XC.
NOT CHEAP
Besides the wheel itself you need a new airbag, (not legally sold used anywhere), radio buttons, etc. Basically everything is different
End result, it looked fantastic, but I personally do not like the feel of a wood wheel and to change my personal XC over to a 3 spoke leather wheel is not cost effective in any possible way even at dead cost.
It cost me over $1300 in parts (new) at 10% over cost!!!:eek:

2004 to a 2005+?
Not sure if it will work, I can't answer any electrical issues.
However it probably will ... but don't hold me to that

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NOT CHEAP
Besides the wheel itself you need a new airbag, (not legally sold used anywhere), radio buttons, etc. Basically everything is different
End result, it looked fantastic, but I personally do not like the feel of a wood wheel and to change my personal XC over to a 3 spoke leather wheel is not cost effective in any possible way even at dead cost.

2004 to a 2005+?
ummm yeah im not going over $200 for everything lol. Thanks for the info Jim. i think its cheap enough where i can buy it and try it, if it doesn't work for me, i can flip it and sell it off to someone that can use it.

Big interior over overhaul coming in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
It was either 2004 or 2005 when they increased the speed of the can bus, which makes the controls incompatible. If the electrical plug is the same I'd bet on it working. I put a 2003 S60 wheel into my 2001 V70 and it was plug and play, airbag, contact reel and all. The stereo controls worked until I replaced with aftermarket. I would ask Chilled Man or AthruC if they know which years are compatible with which, because they have experience with it. You should be able to get a wheel and bag for somewhere under $300 from the right part-out guy. Watch the classifieds here.

And there's 43 used R airbags for sale nationwide on car-part.com right now Jim, so that's nonsense about it being illegal to sell a used bag. I bought used bags for my V70 and a state trooper reviewed it, including my reciepts which required the VIN of the car it came out of for it to pass the rebuilt from salvage inspection.

There are some restrictions that vary by state maybe, like I know at one point you couldn't ship an airbag across New York state lines, and weirdness like that. But it's not universally illegal.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
And there's 43 used R airbags for sale nationwide on car-part.com right now Jim, so that's nonsense about it being illegal to sell a used bag. I bought used bags for my V70 and a state trooper reviewed it, including my reciepts which required the VIN of the car it came out of for it to pass the rebuilt from salvage inspection.

There are some restrictions that vary by state maybe, like I know at one point you couldn't ship an airbag across New York state lines, and weirdness like that. But it's not universally illegal.
Good Info man, I like the first hand knowledge!

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Really?
Interesting
I was told by my bodyshop that it was illegal, I guess that was from Erie who are in NY
Perhaps it's a state by state deal

In that case I have a perfect (stock) 07 XC70 4 spoke wheel and airbag (tan)

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
It also might be that you have to be a licensed wrecker to sell them or something, where it's technically illegal for a layman to sell one, but only enforced as an extra charge if you get caught stripping cars or something.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Airbag wiring will work from any year....the cruise/redundant radio switches will have to be from a '01-'04 to fit your '04. Case in point, I have a '05 airbag and '04 wheel in my '01.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Wood Wheel

JRL was fantastic and it was my car... I would do it again! Love the 3 spoke wood wheel in my 07 XC. Thanks JRL ! ! Well worth the price! !
:)

NOT CHEAP

2004 to a 2005+?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts