SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got an 02 S60 N/A with 160k miles and theres a few things I think it needs in order to get to "smooth"

I have noticed that the steering wheel shakes when i start the car up as well as when i turn it off. I took a video and you can kind of hear a weird vibration/rattle as its turns off. Im fairly sure that the steering wheel is not supposed to shake so im asking for opinions on what to look for.

Im really looking forward to keeping this car for a while as its been great thus far. Just a few little quarks in order to get back to like new.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, how much play should there be in the upper torque mount? Mine has been replaced sometime in the cars lifetime with the newer style square mount. I can rock the strut bar back and forth with little to no effort

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Which ones are you think the culprit to the steering wheel vibration?

I know of the 2 hydraulic mounts, one under the crank pulley, the tranny-engine mount and the upper torque mount that i mentioned. Should i go poly on the upper and/or tranny torque mount or just go OEM all round?

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
If you go poly it'll make you feel the vibration as well. They are stiffer than the rubber.

Your actual mounts at the front/rear of the engine may be shot. So where the engine is bolted onto the subframe.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What should i do to check them? And if they are blown where would be the best place to get them and maybe a how to of sorts

·
Registered
998 Posts
What should i do to check them? And if they are blown where would be the best place to get them and maybe a how to of sorts
Well a visual inspection will easily tell you if they're shot - if they look like they have space to move around, then it's a good idea to replace them.

Checkout ipdusa.com for bushings.

I bought bushings for my engine bay from them, and I felt vibration via my steering wheel that was never there before, but it was good vibration though. ;)

However, a good place to start is to inspect other parts of the car first, and determine if there are other major components that need replacing first. Worn bushings usually mean less vibration to cabin...

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well i jist dont know what else would shake the steering wheel and interior that much other than motor mounts.

Btw - heres a video of me tweaking the upper mount and strut bar mounts. Looks like all three of those need to be replaced to me unless there is supposed to be that much play in it.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
the oem rubber mounts do allow for a bit of play, as that is what deadens the constant vibration from the engine/tranny. You can replace with new rubber and that will work for another good while.

However, if you want to never replace bushings again, I would go the softer poly route. Just realize that for every poly mount you install, that much more vibration will be transmitted to the steering column.

I have the upper engine mount, lower transmission mount, and the engine bar mod, and I have a decent amount of vibration at idle in my 04 GT.

To reduce the vibration at idle, tighten down the upper engine mount with the car in drive [or in gear if MT]

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just realized the videos i uploaded were private so i changed them to public so everyone could see them. Let me know if this amount of play is normal as far as these mounts go.

Also i went ahead and checked the right mount under the crank pulley and it seems ok to me. Do i need to lift the enginr up a hair and see if its separated? Or would i be able to tell just by looking at it? How do i check the 2 circular hydraulic mounts also?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ummmm what the hell is this noise??

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright put the back ebd of the car on ramps and checked a few things out:

-The mid pipe is not only hitting the heat shield but its resting against the heat shield. How do i readjust the exhaust in order to make it rest a little lower because its basically pressed against the heat shield

-The circular motor mount on the back end doesn't look to good and the cable that's supposed to hold everything together is loose. Im guessing that means its shot?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello?

How would i go about changing this mount (if its even bad) and how would i check the front one?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
This is now beyond my skill level. Waiting for an expert opinion :D

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Hello?

How would i go about changing this mount (if its even bad) and how would i check the front one?
The front one is similar to how you did the rear one. Although if you change one you should change both.

I did mine when I replaced my Flexplate in the trans. So I had the subframe out and access is easy.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The front one is similar to how you did the rear one. Although if you change one you should change both.

I did mine when I replaced my Flexplate in the trans. So I had the subframe out and access is easy.
To check and see if its blown should i just hack the engine up a few inches and see if its separated? Also whats the proper procedure in changing these out?

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
To check and see if its blown should i just hack the engine up a few inches and see if its separated? Also whats the proper procedure in changing these out?
Easiest way? I wouldn't "jack" it up. I'd use a proper engine hoist (you can get them for about $100 at Harbor Freight). And lift up the front a little bit and check the rubber mount.

Proper procedure I don't know. I had my subframe out for another job and it was easier to do them then and there tbh.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts