SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2007 S80 V8, and it came with the very basic steering wheel, I think. The wheel itself is thin and very hard. It's kind of uncomfortable, though I could just be biased by the wheel in my R.

Was there an OEM wheel with softer leather, or maybe just thicker? I know there's wooden ones out there, but I'm not interested in wood.

Searching Tasca, I see that there are wheels listed as coming with and without leather. Is the "with" one maybe what I'm looking for?

·
Registered
3,481 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oooh. That looks awesome, thanks Tony. I was just running into issues finding ones that looked like my airbag module would work in it.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I was worried about the same thing. The instructions say you swap the airbag and the electronic pods from the old wheel into the new one. So, if it's listed as an accessory option for your car, the stuff should swap from the stock wheel right into this one. I was also worried about the horn pad/airbag cover coming with a new wheel, but I think they can swap over, too. I'll let you know if it comes with a new one when I get my wheel next week.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool, that's how it was for my R. I swapped the T5 Sport wheel into it. The airbag module and controls swapped over without issue.

It's just that some of the wheels I'm seeing for the S80 look different from my wheel and airbag, so I wasn't sure.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Did they change them during this model's run? They did changed the XC70s and S60s wheels around 2014, I think, so maybe the same happened for the S80?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I love the steering wheel in our '08 XC90 Sport. The contrast between it and the one in our '07 S80 V8 is pretty substantial. Every time I get in the S80 I feel like I'm climbing into an old land yacht Lincoln or Caddy. Can't wait to switch over to a sport model steering wheel.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I'm on the bandwagon for a steering wheel change as well, the standard wheel is just too plain and thin. Now that I have been driving the car for the past few days, I'm hearing some creaks in the center console, so I may be speeding up my place to do the 2011 style swap. Keep us posted on this, I know itwontstopsnowin put one in his and has a pretty good write up as well, good to know some others are going to do it as well.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I had an XC60 and a V60CC as a loaner over the last few months, both with the newer contoured wheels. I can't drive my plain round one anymore without feeling horribly out-dated.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I know how you feel. Told the wife I'm going to change out a bunch of things in the car (I did get it for her) at first she wasn't in agreement but as we drive it more and the center console is creaking, she has been asking why. I can only believe it was taken apart at some point or took a major hit as the wood is cracked around the 4C controls. Personally I want to do the entire center console as the box cover is a bit beat up, the sliding cover is not working correctly and the back of the console (rear seat area) is missing some parts.

With the steering wheel change, I want the 2010 console with the silver trim and the 2013 style shifter or one of the newer one with the sport option. Need to know first if that would work with the V8 with a simple swap. I'm my mind I'm thinking it probably won't as cars with sports mode usually also have a change to the engine response. Either way, I know the 2013 would work as a couple of folks have done it already.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Just an FYI: I think the 2014+ shifter will fit and function just fine but you wont get a sports mode from that. The car doesn't have a sport mode in the transmission control module TCM so putting it into sport on the shifter will probably just engage manual shifting just like on a MY13 shifter. The sport mode basically makes the car upshift a bit later and changes the throttle mapping. I miss having it from having driven cars with it but really, if you drive your car in manual shifting and just hold the upshifts for a while you'll achieve the same thing, almost.

Edit: The newer center console can be fitted too but the steering wheel might not fit. Volvo themselves state that the updated steering wheel, the one with aluminium inserts, doesn't fit cars there were delivered without it. It's still unclear if it's possible to retrofit. Might be possible with a steering column swap, assuming it's just a matter of getting the wheel to fit. If the cables don't match or similarly you're sort of screwed unless you want to dig in to cutting up airbag cables. Same thing if a SWM (steering wheel module) swap is necessary. I've been told the car wont recognize the new unit and it'll shut down part of CANBUS network. I'm researching this retrofit as well but a new beige wheel with wood inserts is $600 new and a new steering wheel column is even more expensive, 600+ something. A used one is 300 but haven't found a used wheel so... I think I worked out a new wheel with some discount and a steering wheel column would cost me something around $820 but that's 820 bucks of "it might work". Not sure how to proceed. I can't really get a hold of the parts to try them out unfortunately.

Edit again: if you're missing parts I think most stuff is available as spares, if you meant swapping the entire center console. Upload a photo of what you're missing and I could probably find out part numbers.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Hi Schmoyoho, I want to do the R-Design steering wheel swap from the V70 that was posted in the mod section. As far as the center console area, the 2010 style is what I'm going to use with a silver insert around the shifter and 4C buttons. The storage box looks like it is the same from 2007 up to 2010, my interior is black with the standard wood but, I feel changing that section out for aluminum would work fine for that area but I'm also thinking aluminum sliding cover to replace the damaged one or I could just stay with black.

This is mine:

Note the crack on the shifter surround.

·
Registered
510 Posts
This is the center console I want to replace it with:

Along with the aluminum shifter surround in this photo, but with the one for the 4C:

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
The center console's an easy swap. It's a bit fiddly but definitely easy. Bunch of screws and about an hour of your time if you've never removed it before. I should add though, just as an FYI, and that's the prices. I think the center console is somewhere around $300 USD new. The aluminium shifter insert is something I want myself but having dug through VIDA (volvo program with all the spares and part numbers) I've only found one and that's the executive one. That part is around $100. There is another one in brushed aluminium I think and that was a lot cheaper if I recall correctly. The same goes for the aluminium cup holder. Being an executive part it also has some illumination in it so it'll cost you $410 for the entire cup holder or a mere $180 for the aluminium jalousie alone.

As of writing this I remember I actually did find a shifter insert in VIDA that looked like it could be a fit, or a good enough substitute for an exec one. I'm not sure, VIDA doesn't have photos. I'll need to look that up anyway so I'll get back to you on that.

Though another FYI if you swap the shifter insert I think you should also get the aluminium shifter knob inserts. You'll have to swap the entire knob but I think it'll look better, metal on metal.

Edit: I'm just a bit unsure about the steering wheel swap. I don't know when the new wheel with alu inserts was released but I think 2010? That wheel wont fit on MY07-09 and I think that means that the wheel itwontstopsnowin fitted, the R-design one, to his 08 S80 might not fit your 2010 car. Should be a similar wheel available for 2010+ cars though.

Edit yet again: Nope. 2010 was the year for the new steering wheels and that in all likelihood means you need a 2010+ wheel.

http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-us/S80(07-)/Accessories/Sections/styling/2010

·
Registered
510 Posts

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Update...received my wheel from Tasca today. It does NOT come with a horn pad, so make sure yours fits the one you want to install. It comes with the wheel, decorative trim piece (satin chrome, in my case), and a new nut with thread locker applied already.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
waynerm: I checked up the part no. It's 39810536 and the part is $300 retail price but available online from e.g volvopartswebstore at $248. Not familiar with tasca but as they seem reputable I'd check if they carry that part and maybe order it from there. I also ordered an aluminium insert for my car, the one around the shifter, and it "only" cost me $101. I thought the price at my dealer would be higher... Part number for that, with 4C buttons, is 30790953. Steering wheel part no's for your car should be available on Volvo's accessory page.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Thanks Schmoyoho, I actually located the parts on tasca (http://www.tascaparts.com/oe-volvo/39810536) and plan on ordering it. Had placed the order for the center piece but they didn't have one in stock, Mike (itwontstopsnowin) has one so I'm going to get it from him. Got the steering wheel on order as well but still awaiting shipping info, hope it won't be out of stock as well. Next I may need to do the rear shocks and probably replace all the springs, driving over some icy, bumpy roads has shed some light on noise from the rear suspension.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I replaced the steering wheel on my XC70 today, and the horn pad IS the airbag. Make sure the wheel you order will accept the one from your car, or you'll need an airbag to fit the new wheel.

Easy job to replace, btw.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts