SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Working on a 2000 V70 that had the subframe R & R'd before I bought it. Steering wheel is off center, the car drives straight and doesn't pull. I suspect that the steering column connection at the steering rack spline was just not put on straight. Does the rack shaft/spline have a flat spot so it can only go on one way, or splines all around making it possible for the steering wheel to be off center ?

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Go get your alignment checked to start with, at most places if it doesn't need adjustment, it's free.

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
Yes, the rack has a flat spot on it so you can only put it together one way. It might allow it to be one spline off but I'm not 100% sure. I think the bolt doesn't go through if it's off by a spline tooth.

If it's only slightly off, an alignment can take care of it, as the shop can center the steering wheel then point each wheel forward afterwards by adjusting the tie rods. If it's off a lot, the steering wheel can be taken off and re-centered, but you have to make sure to line up the contact reel properly (the wire for the airbag).

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I was planning on getting an alignment done anyway. The steering wheel is off center by about 30 degrees or so(two or three inches at the top of the wheel) . I'll talk with the shop and see if this amount is correctable by an alignment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts