SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I’ve got a line on a 2005 R steering wheel and was wondering if I could slam it on my 02 V70XC. Anyone know if this would be a problem?

2002 V70XC, 2003 V40, 2004 S60, 2010 V70

·
Registered
852 Posts
I believe you can, you need to swap the airbag as well though. I’ve seen it done a couple times before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G

·
Physically it will swap over. You will have to swap airbags and 01-04 steering wheel control buttons into the R wheel. Dont quote me on this, im going by 3rd party info from another member who's done the swap in his T5.

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
Had a bit of free time (trapped in the car with sleeping todlers) and didn't realize at the time of purchase that it was off a 04 so the electrical is not compatible. Seller was selling it as an 05 wheel so I assumed it would be compatible, really didn't know what too look out for but I knew there was a difference between years, found a date stamp on it for 2003 during install. Seller has an 05 wheel and gave me an 04 wheel by mistake, will be picking it up today or tomorrow. Oh and yeah, totally a 15min swap including the 3mins you wait after disconnecting the battery.

FYI:
What to look for date stamp and electrical connector. The electrical connector for 01-04 is a female connector, 05+ is a male connector, contact reel on 01-04 has a wiring harness with a male connector, 05+ has a female connector at the contact reel. Air bag is compatible all years.

Comparison: XC70 05 wheel to 04 R wheel

Here's some info on wheel compatibility.

·
Registered
17,305 Posts
You need the controls and airbag from a 01-04 the wheel will fit and bolt on.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Go for the sport wheel. There's one at Cookstown the last time I was there.
Wish those hit the yards around here. I got lucky scoring an '07 R wheel this weekend, only the second R I've seen hit the 2 yards nearish me in the last year. Wish they'd have let me keep the airbag, ugh. I've never seen a sport wheel there. Though it's rare to see a post-facelift P2, and when there is one, it's almost always an '05.

Is the only difference between the Sport and R wheels the slightly enlarged thumb grips at 10 and 2?

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Yup, the airbag can come off of any 3-spoke P2 wheel. The steering wheel controls can come off of any 3-spoke wheel from 01–04. Hang onto the later model ones. I've seen plenty of people on here with the wrong year wheel to go in their car looking to go one way or another. I've NEVER seen an R in the JY. Never seen a sport wheel either. In addition to the girth, like Antherzoll was saying, they also have swanky perforated leather and sexy silver trim at the bottom spoke. But I've only heard this in legends…

·
Registered
573 Posts
In addition to the girth, like Antherzoll was saying, they also have swanky perforated leather and sexy silver trim at the bottom spoke. But I've only heard this in legends…
I AM all about that silver trim with the OR...just got a set of dash vents for it too :) In my case, an '07 wheel onto an '06 should be simple once I find a good airbag. Bigtimemcalpine will just need to find those early controls for his car if he does a swap.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks fellas - was originally thinking about the ug for my S60 so swapping air bag and controls would not have been a big deal. But now I’ve changed my mind possibly and want to put the r wheel on the XC. May have to make a trip to Cookstown to check out their unicorn sport wheel.

2002 V70XC, 2003 V40, 2004 S60, 2010 V70

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Here's mine

Apparently some come with silver trim on the buttons... Mine did not
Yeah, it’s an 07+ thing like the stalks. That being said, if you want the silver trim on your buttons, I literally last night just took delivery of an 07 wheel to put on my 03. So, those super nice silver buttons won’t make it in my car.

What year is this one?
That’s either an 05 or 06.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
The steering wheel with the silver trim at the bottom is the sport wheel from 2008-09 S60s that had the sport package.
The silver dash vent and buttons are from 2007 V70s and 2007-09 S60s (all).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts