SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving down to SCD and my steering wheel came loose. Front/back, side/side. Surely wasn't safe travels down to Brookline. Anyways I drove as safely as I could down there and had a great time mingling with kindfolk. We then(Me and Crazyaces) proceeded to his casa to install his UR Braces. The wheel got even looser on the way there. Before I left I decided to look into it because I had like an hour and a half of driving prior to getting home. Didn't find much on the same issue but I decided to extract the airbag and attempt to tighten the bolt inside.

Here's how to do so:

I pulled out the airbag and low and behold the steering wheel bolt was loose beyond belief. I could easily screw or unscrew it. I gave it a good tighten. Snapped the airbag back in.

The feel of the wheel was like night and day, before I thought my outer tierods were going but now everything is amazing.

If you have any looseness to the wheel I strongly suggest you take a look in the wheel prior to dropping hundreds on suspension.

:p

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Be careful when you re-tighten the steering wheels on these cars. Volvoracer cracked one as the core/frame of the wheels is only aluminum. Use some loc-tite and re-tighten to spec(whatever that is).

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Be careful when you re-tighten the steering wheels on these cars. Volvoracer cracked one as the core/frame of the wheels is only aluminum. Use some loc-tite and re-tighten to spec(whatever that is).
Yeah loctite for sure!!

·
Registered
919 Posts
yeah, good post - i pulled my wheel apart trying to find some similar looseness, just found that upper steering shaft was the part of the steering that had play... it rattled terribly over bumps but the car didnt really alter course. its not always the obvious :(

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just thought I'd share due to how dangerous it became in such a short duration of time. I know the shaft is sleeved and it wont spin freely but nonetheless it controls the car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts