SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The metal trim on my steering wheel is peeling (as is want to do on these cars). Figured I would just buy the part for $50 instead of trying to fight with the dealership about getting it done for free. But directions and discussion I found here mention needing a VIDA device for reinstalling the airbag after removing.

Can anyone confirm this is true? Step one is to disconnect the battery, so hoping the car wouldn’t know if the airbag was disconnected(?)

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
VIDA is not needed and is not mentioned in the repair procedure. Not sure who said that or where they got it from.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
As long as you do disconnect the battery and wait (5-10 mins, I believe) before disconnecting anything, then reconnect everything before reconnecting the battery you should be OK... if any fault is detected the SRS light will come on and you will need to correct the fault and then reset with VIDA (or apparently one of few upmarket OBD tools) to make the SRS light go out.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
504 Posts
i've never done a volvo, but worked on my 1996 aerostar mini van and was told to touch the battery cables together ( after disconnecting from the battery) so as to discharge any stored energy in capacitors...........not sure about today's vehicles but you don't want that bag going off.

·
Registered
47 Posts
For safety reasons Volvo says to disconnect the battery for various repairs. All air bag removal is one of them. This keeps any air bag from going poof if you need to remove them. Most techs never disconnect the battery. Should we. Yes. Once everything is back together, you are supposed turn the key to on, then connect the battery. P3 cars insert key, connect the battery, Get into the back seat, use a long handle whatever and press the button until the red dash lights light. P5, P6 cars, connect battery get in back seat and turn the start switch until the red dash lights turn on. The reason for doing this is in case the steering wheel air bag happens to go off, turning on the key, you are not setting in the driver seat and getting hit with the air bag. Once the red lights are on or if you start the car you may notice the red air bag symbol will stay on for 5-10 seconds or so. The SRS system is checking ohms thru all the air bag systems, if all OK the air bag symbol will turn off.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds good! I’ll be sure to get a long stick to start the car with. (Why not just sit in the passenger seat, though?)

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
The step by step instructions from VIDA, as well as my own step by step with pictures, are in the post I linked. There is no need for a torque wrench. A T25 Torx and a flathead screwdriver is all you need to remove the bezel.

You also don't need to do anything in VIDA. The VIDA directions show just removing the battery cable and waiting a few for the SRS to deactivate.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
no need for VIDA, as long as you do not plug the battery, you will not get an error message

·
Registered
720 Posts
no need for VIDA, as long as you do not plug the battery, you will not get an error message
I removed my airbag to replace the trim without disconnecting the battery and had no errors at all. It wasn't the safest option, but it shouldn't set a code unless you switch the ignition on while the airbag is disconnected.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The step by step instructions from VIDA, as well as my own step by step with pictures, are in the post I linked. There is no need for a torque wrench. A T25 Torx and a flathead screwdriver is all you need to remove the bezel.

You also don't need to do anything in VIDA. The VIDA directions show just removing the battery cable and waiting a few for the SRS to deactivate.
Missed that, those pictures are really helpful. Thanks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts