SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a problem w/ my steering. Recently I have to hold the steering wheel a slight bit to the left to go straight. When I hold the wheel straight the car wanders to the right. I had an alignment done last week and they said the driver's front needed adjusting, but everything else was within specs. The car seemed to be fine for a few days(at least I didn't notice anything). Now it's back to doing the same thing again. It seems like on some roads it's worse than others. Is it a combination of the crown in the road and the V50 steering or do I possibly have a problem in the suspension/steering rack? I checked the tire pressures and it's at 35 all around

·
Registered
989 Posts
Re: steering/suspension issue (jdhartman)

Well, with my 40 it's seems to be the same ole story. <p>Recently had rear arms and sway bar installed by "Bubba's" suspension shop. Got the car back and it drive like a freakin' dream. Tracked straight and true, no pulling or tracking the bows or crowns. Awesome handling, precise, predictable and sure footed.<p>So, replaced the rear tires that were severely cupped, placed the fronts (which were not cupped or cut) on the back. "Name Brand" shop where I purchased the tires wanted to align the car. Told them it was aligned a week prior. Just for fun we put it on the machine and found that the fronts were toed out at the outer limits of the mfgr specs and the same with the rears with the rear camber at the inside of the mfgr specs. Just barely outside these "target" limits. Everything else was spot on...better than it had ever been in the life of the car. Car handled so darn well with these settings.<p>I relent and Brand Name shop aligns according to exact specs...gets them spot on - and you guessed it...the car goes back to slight pulling on crowns and has more jiggles on uneven surfaces. Feels kind of like driving on ice sometimes. Crap! Dropped the tire pressure from 36 to 32 and it helped quite a bit but it's nowhere near what it felt like after the parts install.<p>Point being, (think it was Tom who mentioned) our cars have an odd if not whacked set of alignment specs. Best handling I ever experienced was when the shoes were all slightly pointed out. I think Bubba knew the specs but also knew what was needed to make it handle well. When I went to pick up my car, it was sitting next to his bad a** stock car that he races on the weekends. Hmmm.<p>Anyone know if it will severely chew the tires to put them back to the outside specs of toe? Gotta be to some extent - but not really worried about it...already had three sets on this thing in 40 months and 41,000 miles. What can it really hurt?!

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Ride, can you go into a bit more detail about what alignment numbers worked well for you? <br>I have a pull to the left even with an "acceptable" alignment, and I'd love to eliminate that, especially before a few hundred miles of driving coming up soon.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Re: steering/suspension issue (jdhartman)

The Tire Pressures - were a Good Shot , but Customized Alignment Spec's <br>for Wider Tires and Dropped Cars - were talked about , before , I'm not sure where the Link Is , as the Search Engine on this Site - Bites .

·
Registered
989 Posts
Re: (mattdoc)

matt, on the road for the next few days. Will send something on the weekend...but it was weird like a neg on the left side and a pos on the right (?) which the shop said made the wheels slightly point out like this \ / . He showed the alignment machine... the X's were to the left of the left wheel and the right of the right wheel but still on the screen meaning they were not waaay out there. They were just on the outside numbers of the standard specs for the S40 without sport suspension - that he said were the the new specs for cars WITH sport suspension based on the latest TSB pulled up at there at the tire shop. Don't know if he deciphered that one correctly.<p>Rear tires were standing near straight up (camber) and were slightly pointed in the same direction but not as far out as the fronts \ / .<p>Right or wrong, it sure felt planted and predictable. Might pay Bubba a visit and put them back as a science experiment. This, assuming of course he did it on purpose and didn't have a bad day. But both set the same way? Think he was helping me a bit. Who knows, maybe we've found the answer to our wondering cars. <p>Will try to find the thread EngTech mentions.<BR><BR>
<i>Modified by Ride S40T at 1:58 PM 4-30-2009</i>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts