SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hard pot hole hit on left front wheel and now steering very stiff,
I believe this car has speed sensitive adjustment. We have checked linkage and all seem fine my mechanic suspects damage to Rack in middle.

Any thoughts or experience welcome.

BTW 2006 S60 T5 seem rare only 140 Km so I would like to keep it. My 03 T5 M had well past 400K when I passed it on.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I would tend to think a huge pothole would bend the inner tie rod before the rack would be affected, I've hit a lot of nasty potholes this year- although mine has started leaking through the right seal. Don't know if related. but may have had ATF in it before, that would easily ruin a seal.

My V70 had the steering get stiff, turned out bottom u-joint of steering column was starting to seize up. Ordered new one, but lifted boot and sprayed PB Blaster down there as a temporary fix. Worked good as new. Still have the part in the box, don't know if will get used on the S60.

Maybe try this cheap fix first (just in case this is it), spending $6US is better than spending $1,200US + labor :)

·
Registered
512 Posts
Already good suggestions above. Maybe fire up the engine with the hood open, and ask someone to turn the steering and look at the top of the strut, see if it appears to be moving the same way as the other side. The can also be issues with the ball joint, spring seat, and I wouldn't discard the speed sensitive sensor either - may try to swap a used one.

I would try to verify all these before blaming the rack - garages like to point to the rack right away because it's a big job for them ($$$)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts