SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2012 S60 T5, 2003 XC60
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all - I have a 2003 XC70, bought used in 2008 in nearly new condition, but with 120k miles, now up to 150k. It is my wife's car and she can usually walk to work, so, slow mileage accumulation.

Last Volvo service was at 120k, done by the previous owner including the timing belt. Runs great.

Lately, when steering to the lock, usually when parallel parking, you can hear a slight "groan", but not every time. The other day, when in a parking lot, I thought I heard a slight "clunk" when the wheel was turned to the lock, but I'm not sure, my wife was driving. Recently, I also could feel some vibrations at 50 - 65mph when I was driving that I would normally chalk up to tire balance. This is a new issue, the car came with Pirelli's and handling has always been smooth.

I'm going to have this check by my own mechanic, but does this trigger any suggestions for this car and year?

Thanks.

·
Registered
161 Posts
The vibration and clunk could be due to a outer-tie-rod going bad, which wouldn't be unheard of. As far as the groan goes, check your fluid level. Often a grown means low fluid, and if it's only at full lock, it's probably not due to a worn pump as you'd hear that nearly constantly. If the fluid is low, just top if off.

·
Registered
2012 S60 T5, 2003 XC60
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies - - freedomfries - the video you posted has no sound, but it looks like he is tightening CCW (but he doesn't turn very far, so hard to tell), is this because it is the passenger side, or is the thread backwards?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts