SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because my issues seem to never end, I am now having trouble with my steering rack. I noticed this morning that the boot on the driver side is torn and the fluid is a bit low. So it's obviously leaking. Also, the steering wheel is not always returning. Feels as if it catches after a hard turn.

I have added ATF to fill the steering reservoir with no change to the feel.

I have read up on replacing the rack and it sounds like a giant pain, but doable. I do have a mechanic friend with a lift who may be able to do it for me.

What rack should I get? Any idea what the time to do the job on a lift should be? At some point in the near future I will have replaced everything wear item in the car, so I may as well go ahead replace the rack too...

·
Registered
271 Posts
Rebuilt racks can be hit or miss. For me, it's been 3 misses (only 1 for a Volvo though) Big job, and if you ever considered adding a front sway bar, that would be the time to do it, along with the rear motor mount (under the turbo)

FCP carry Cardone rebuilts. I don't know if they're good, but they do come with a lifetime warranty which is better than nothing. Tasca has new racks for $650. If I needed a rack, I would seriously consider new. Just too much work to swap out a bad rebuilt in a year...

Here's a review for the Maval brand rack from FCP, and this sums up my experience with rebuilt racks as well,

Purchased and installed the Maval steering rack last July. Six months into use and less than 4K miles on the new rack and it began leaking from the driver's side accordion boot. Now, just about the point where the one year warranty is about to expire, it is leaking fluid to the point that I have to add fluid every time I use the car. Very disappointed in this product. Heartbreaking fix for as those who have done this swap know, it is a lot of labor, and after the re-install of the replacement, another $100 for a front end alignment. Maval claims awards for quality...they don't deserve the accolades. 2000 S70 T5

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rack Doctor seems to get good reviews and they are about $350 including the $75 core charge. Any experience with them?

I will likely have someone do this work so it can be warrantied if something goes wrong. I don't want to do it twice. I don't really want to do it once, truthfully.

Good advice on the engine mount and sway bar, thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts