SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little background. High pressure hose ruptured and was replaced, pump failed shortly after the hose so that was replaced also (oem ZF brand). Was getting some leak down from the reservoir and replaced it as well as the low pressure hoses.

Now as the weather has gotten colder the rack itself is slowly leaking at the passenger side boot, from the pressure fittings and also inside the boot. Not a huge amount, steering feels ok when its not loaded. At slow speed it gets a bit tough and you can hear some creaking noises going on.

Found someone reputable to rebuild an oem rack for $159 plus $75 core. Rack doctor i think is what he's called. Been in business for 20+ years, carries lifetime warranty.

My question is more so about what other parts i might want to inspect or have on hand during the replacement. Local shop quoted me $490 for an R&R on the rack including the fluid exchange.

To my knowledge the subframe bushings are original so that is on my list but I'm not sure which setup i want to go with. Oem XC90 bushings? Delrin? or oem with the stupid poly inserts?

Any other parts or service items i need to look at or have ready during the install?

thanks,

Adam

·
Registered
853 Posts
Since that shop is doing it for you,now is the time to have them do the sub-frame bushings bc they have to at least lower it to remove the rack.I always go with original parts.Also,inner tie rods are easier to do when the sub-frame is down but not at all necessary.Ask them to either replace the sub-frame bolts or clean them up on a wire wheel and put neverseize on them and then torque the bolts to spec.Most guys will just run the bolts in without cleaning them up and use an impact gun.That's not the right way to do it.Get your moneys worth if your paying.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm going with the XC90 bushings and new subframe bolts. The rack has new inner tie rods and boots installed and my outer tie rods are fairly new. Only other thing I thought of was sway bar bushings and rear engine mount, but those will be if needed.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
683 Posts
I went with the xc90's and the inserts, worked well for me, nice and stiff. You mentioned new subframe bolts, so that's covered. I might suggest the ipd unit, or at the very least, polys on the trans.

jm2c

1 - 4 of 4 Posts