SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its been a while since I posted about blown headgasket on my 850R.

After a few months I decided to tackle it with my brother in law.

The head is at the machine shop and it needs a complete rebuild as some valves are leaking and the head is warped.

I was told when I was having the car looked at that the steering rack was on its way out. (leaking?) does anyone have any experience with diagnosing and or replacing?

Also one of my front struts while not leaking appears to be loose or at the top (I see more space at the top of the strut than the other side) and noticed a clunking sound when going over pot holes etc. Does the strut have to be replaced or is there some parts I can buy for the top mount?

I dont want to spend a lot of money as I am going to let my oldest son use the car for the summer. He was the one who blew the head gaskets in the first place. And then sell it when he finds another car.

Thank you

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: steering rack and other issues (silvajac)

Cheapest rebuilt racks around are from http://www.fcpgroton.com
I've installed two with no problems.
They come with inner tie rods so buy a pair of outers, new strut mounts, (possible clunk, your problem) and new spring seats and your front end will be 99% rebuilt. You also probably need sway bar links (also possible clunk)
(I would suggest new struts while you're at it (if in your budget) as the whole thing will be apart and it's just the cost of the struts at this time)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts