SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a '13 XC70 for my wife. She really loves the car. She has but one complaint, the steering effort. She says it's too hard to turn the wheel driving around town. I have a Mustang with settings for steering effort but as far as I can tell my model of the XC70 doesn't have the ability to adjust the feel. The literature seems to indicate that steering effort is speed related. I have driven the car and the steering effort does seem more than most cars we have owned in the past; Lexus, Infinity, etc. Is it possible that the speed sensitive steering might be stuck in high feel? I will take it in to the dealer but I suppose steering effort is very subjective.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Not sure if there's an adjustment although possibly running a bit more tire pressure would help. Also tires can be a huge factor, look at reviews for appropriate tires for your vehicle, perhaps something by another manufacturer would help. Good luck,:thumbup:
Motoretro

·
Registered
308 Posts
Speed Sensitive steering

Hi,
Looked for a page 208 in both printed an online manual did not see a way to adjust. My speed sensitive steering does not function, wondering where to start to fix it. I understand there is a solenoid on the steering rack (can see it) that makes the change, but not sure how to approach testing/fixing it.
c

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
No steering wheel adjustments are available for the XC70.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
If yours has speed sensitive steering, there is a relay for it on/under the steering column for that that can and does go bad.

I would have it looked at and also DRIVEN by a dealer mechanic to compare.
I would also go to a dealer and drive another 2013 XC70 to see if your steering is functioning properly.

I have not driven '13s, but I have driven '08-'10s and I have not find the steering to be stiff

·
Registered
238 Posts
I would agree with your wife. I immediately noticed the steering effort in MY13 XC70 to be a bit heavier than any of my other cars. It took me a bit to get used to it. The speed sensitive steering function is very good though. I only notice the 'heaviness' at mid speeds, say 30-40 mph.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts