SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experienced a creaking noise when turning the steering wheel slowly at low speeds (i.e., slow turns when parking, etc.)? I don't know if this is normal with this vehicle, or is an indication of a power steering problem, but there is a clear rubbing/creaking type of noise anytime the wheel is turned at low speeds. I have a 2004.5 S40 T5, if that helps. Does anyone have any information about this, or is something I need to have checked out? THanks.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Re: Steering noise?? (s40driver)

"rubber/creaking"? It may sound silly, but are you sure you're not just turning the steering wheel faster than the rate of turn of the vehicle and you're hearing the tires squeeking against the pavement?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
True, that is a reasonable question, but I am not the driver that turns the steering wheel before the car moves. This is occurring even when I turn the steering wheel VERY slowly, while the car is moving, like a turn up/down a parking lane in a parking lot, for example. It definitely sounds more mechanical, not tied to the tires or the wheels directly.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Re: (s40driver)

I asked this question awhile back but got no response back from anyone. I experience this when I turn into me driveway. It feels like something taping right behind the foot pedals. I'm going to mention this next time I go in for service just to play it safe.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I drove 3 (2.4 and T5, and then the one I bought) and they all did this. Some people dont notice. I don't think it is unusual or bad. It normally only happens to me when going under 3 MPH and I believe it to be normal. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mase001- maybe it is normal, that's what I was hoping to find out. Same thing is true for me, usually only happens under 5mph, and if you're listening to the radio or not paying attention, you probably won't hear it. It just seems odd to have such a sophisticated car make a very unsophisticated creaking sound, like something isn't operating smoothly.

Av's fan - mine is less than a pulse/tapping in the pedals, and more just an audible creaking sound, like when you step on an old wood floor where beams have worn out. But since mine is a Flint Gray also, maybe it's the color. (kidding)

Anyone else hear this noise? It's not just when braking, for me, it's just when the vehicle is moving very slowly with the steering wheel turning.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I misunderstood. Mine makes no noise, just a tapping sound felt only directly beneath the drivers feet.

Prob best to just take it in.

Mason

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a Volvo V50 T5 MY2005 and I had the same problem. I took the car to my dealer and they noticed the same thing and the order a new servo-pump for the power steering and now I don't have the problem anymore.

·
Registered
37 Posts
i have a 2004.5 T5 and i just noticed today, a creaking noise when i first start the car and turn the steering wheel while moving out of my parking space. also i have the pulses under the pedal, feels as if something is rubbing. . .

·
Registered
XC60 Inscription 2021
9 Posts
Was it like this by any chance? :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts