SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car has developed a creaky groan in the steering that sounds like a rubber bushing kind of noise. It seems to be coming from the right front and I only hear it at low speed while the wheel is actually being turned. In other words, the steering wheel has to be moving. There is no noise when the steering is held steady in a constant radius turn. The only out-of-the-ordinary thing I did right before it started making noise was washing the engine compartment. Other factors could be control arm bushings, which I was told were on the way out when I bought the car 7 months ago, and colder weather. Any obvious things to check first? The car is a 2009 R-design with 107k miles.

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
Sounds exactly like strut mount bearings. $20 to replace, there are a few write ups in the S40 section, or just follow the general stickies for strut removal.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds reasonable. I suppose I'll do my control arms at the same time. Is it worth replacing the top strut mounts too? Any other while-we're-at-it's to consider?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I would replace the top mounts while you have it all torn appart they are at about the same $20 price point too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts