SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a few weeks ago about turn signal stalk failure. Not the intermittent problem which has been reported before. Further testing revealed that both levers do not function. There is no function from either lever except for wipers on/off. There is no speed control, rear wiper, spray, etc. Steering wheel controls are preserved. Removing and putting back the turn signal stalk fixed the problem for several hours but it returned overnight. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Failed clock springs? Or maybe one big clock spring further in? Not familiar with the issue, but that seems to be what has happened to others with similar symptoms.

·
Administrator
55,918 Posts
have you thoroughly cleaned the connectors on the steering column as well as the stalk? Do you have access to VIDA to run a scan to determine if any codes are present? A generic code reader might give you some codes to help narrow down where to look.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No codes. I did clean the terminals and it worked briefly. What circuit would include all the steering column controls except on/off wipers?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As for the clock spring.... I don't think the controls for the steering column switch run through a clock spring considering they are stationary.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
volvo1924: If the SWM is faulty, wouldn't that affect the steering wheel buttons too? It feels like an entire module going out would leave some error code or something...

If you're able to, try switching the stalks for a set of confirmed working ones. Best case scenario they're worn out (unlikely since both of them are out at the same time). Worst case scenario: it's the SWM. In the former case you could probably source parts yourself and swap. In the latter you need a brand new module and you'll need it to be programmed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I did not realize that you could have faults without any message in the info center. Pulled codes (emphasis on the "s"). Among them was CEM-DD50 steering wheel module signal missing. Any further testing to confirm this before I try replacement?

Other than that, this evening I repaired the wire to the right front wheel speed sensor which had been cut somehow. Someone who worked on that side in the past did not replace the bracket that holds the WSS wire in a safe place.

Other codes I retrieved:
ABS-0123 (YAW sensor fault)
CEM-9C03 Antenna/light ring signal missing
PDM-002C door mirror heater signal too high
PSM-001C power seat control panel missing
PSM-0013 memory button too slow
DDM-E010 control module internal fault (driver door module)
and....
7 different damper motor faults on the climate control module check.

There may have been others but there were no engine, transmission, or SRS faults.

I appreciate any more help.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well a "fuse pull" fixed the problem for now. I suppose if it comes back I will know what I have to do.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Confimed that the issue returns in the cold. Also have a new message that only appears during the cold "fuel door unlocked". It disappears a few miles down the road.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I guess if the error code for the SWM is signal missing I suppose a good start would be to check if there are any bad connections? I think the SWM is just a connector at the SWM end but I don't know how or where it connects to the CEM. I mean, probably just a connector too but no clue how the wiring's laid out. I wouldn't dare go wiggling on all the connectors, lol.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just curious as to whether electrical problems are typical of this car. I have never experienced electrical problems before let alone in this quantity.

Im going to search around a bit for electronics failure in the cold considering how reliably it fails only on 20 degree nights.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Just curious as to whether electrical problems are typical of this car. I have never experienced electrical problems before let alone in this quantity.

Im going to search around a bit for electronics failure in the cold considering how reliably it fails only on 20 degree nights.
I have owned mine for a year and almost a half, it has 181k miles on it. I have never had these issues, but even a small difference in how it was built could lead to this issue over time. A small rub here, small rub there, for multiple thousands of miles could have dislodged or partially separated a connector. This would be exaggerated in the cold where wires shrink and pull away from each other.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Honestly I would take it to the dealership for this. There are too many wires to get messed up. It might be something they already know the fix to, and it won't cost you too much.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts